CHAPTER 68

"Bro! Iba talaga ang charisma mo! Saludo talaga ako syo! Imagine, nakakuha ka agad ng appointment kay Engr. Mendoza sa unang pag-uusap nyo pa lang?! Alam mo ba kung kailan pa nag-aabang ng appointment si Dr. Reyes kay Engr. Mendoza? Last year pa!" Kris laughingly told him as they each took a drink at the hotel's lounge. They left the conference as soon as the morning break was announced. They were able to accomplish what they cane there for so its time to celebrate.

"Hindi pa naman confirmed ang appointment. I still need to call his secretary by Monday to check his schedule." He answered with a smile. He won't deny that he feels great being able to talk to the famous engineer but he knew that he still is a long way from being able to secure the man's yes for their project.

"That's still better than what the other members of the board were able to do! Ni hindi sila pinansin ni Engr. Mendoza kahit pinuntahan na nila sya sa Italy last year. Ikaw kinausap na, pinabigyan pa ng card! His business card is like a golden ticket, bro!" Kris' excitement is making him break into a huge grin. He can just imagine the many people they can help in the hospital if Engr. Mendoza says yes to the proposed project.

"This calls for a toast. Para sa future ng Nuvali Medical Center!" Kris offered with the raising of his glass. RJ laughed and raised his glass as well.

"Para sa maraming taong nanganagilangan na matutulungan ng bagong project ng Nuvali Medical Center!" He seconded. They clinked their glasses together happily.

"Hello, Richard. Ang aga nyo naman yatang uminom. That is so not like you." A very familiar female voice broke through their celebration.It's been five tears but he will still be able to recognize that voice anywhere. Hearing that voice again made him immediately lose the happy disposition he had earlier. He lowered his glass on the counter before slowly turning towards the direction of the voice.

"Anne..."

He looked at the woman in front of him from head to toe. It's been five years but she still looked like the same sophisticated, confident , and very assertive lady Psychologist that he knew.

"Yeah, its me. Fancy seeing you here in Subic. Himala na nakuha mong iwan ang mga pasyente mo para magbakasyon. You used to have no time for even a short break before." She said with a hint of rancor in her voice. That observation made him realize something about her.

"Yup, still the same Anne I knew." He thought with a smirk. Funny how he harbored feelings of bitterness and anger towards this woman all this time for leaving him five years ago. Now seeing her again for just a few minutes and he already saw through her. He is not blinded with his feelings anymore.

"What does that smirk mean, Mr. Faulkerson? Totoo naman na wala kang time dati for anything else except for your career and your patients..." She started again and he immediately cut her off to nip the brewing confrontation in the bud before they cause a scene in the hotel.

"Anne, I already apologized five years ago for that and if you still feel bad about it until now again I sincerely apologize if I made you feel that way all those months that we were together." He said. And he meant it. He knew that he loved her back then and he tried his best to make time for her despite all the pressures he was going through back then with work and his family. Anne smiled at him and moved closer to his side. She wrapped her hands around his arm and whispered:

"I forgive you already for what happened five years ago. I hope now we can start over..." She said in a sultry voice. He felt turned off by her words but he still opted to be a gentleman and just smiled politely.

RJ was about to remove her hands from his bicep discretely and try to explain to her at the same time how he really feels when his attention was caught by a woman running from the direction of the beach to the main entrance. Her movements and stance are very distinct...

"Dei!"

He called out. But Dei did not hear him. She seemed very agitated based on her rigid posture and jerky movements. He immediately felt worried about her. He took a step towards her but Anne tightened her grip on his arm. He forgot that she still is holding on to his arm.

"Who is she, Richard? Why do you look worried? Kaano-ano mo sya?" Anne asked with a sharp edge to her voice.

He was not able to answer Anne's questions for he saw Dei suddenly turn towards his direction and their eyes met and locked. He saw joy, then surprise then suddenly dismay in her eyes when she saw him, Anne and eventually Anne's hands on his arm. He also saw tears pooling in her eyes which made him immediately pull Anne's hands off him and take another step towards Dei but Val suddenly appeared beside Dei followed by a worried looking Uno who immediately held Dei's arm and asked her if she is okay. RJ stopped mid-step, surprised by the familiarity by which the man touched Dei.

Dei stole a glance at him and suddenly buried her face in Uno's chest, sobbing helplessly.

RJ's heart constricted painfully at the sight of her crying and at seeing another man try to comfort her. He felt an overwhelming urge to pull Dei away from the man and then punch Uno's face repeatedly but he controlled himself. He has no right over her. He is just a friend. Now probably an ex-friend.

RJ can sense that Dei is going through something really bad at the moment and he would not want to add to it by making a scene.

But he still want to punch that man. He clenched his fist on his sides to prevent himself from acting on his instinct at the moment . He just helplessly looked as the trio walked together towards the elevator at the end of the hall and watch them disappear inside it when it opened.

He felt a light tap on his shoulder and turned to look at his friend Kris who was eyeing him with sympathy. RJ then turned to Anne, who was standing there looking mutinous, and calmly told her:

"She is Dei Mendoza, ang babaeng nililigawan ko."