CHAPTER 55

"Val! Sure ka ba na okay itong outfit na pinili mo para sa akin? Di ba mukhang trying hard or pacute? Pink at off shoulder na dress talaga, girl?! Magbihis kaya ako? May spare naman akong jeans at blouse dyan sa drawer ko..." She asked her friend as she stare at her reflection in the full length mirror in front of her. She is panicking. She can't help it.

Today is her and RJ's "date" and he already called last night to confirm the time and their reservation at the restaurant that she recommended.

Since then she can't control her rising anxiety as the hours tick by. Now there are only a few minutes left before RJ is due to arrive at their studio/office to pick her up. And right now she is on full on panic.

"Bes, kalma. Pag di ka kumalma sasaksakan talaga kita ng tranquilizer. Relax! Sabi mo nga psych evaluation lang ang reason sa meeting nyo at di ito talaga date...so anong pinagkakaganyan mo? Mas bothered ka pa talaga sa outfit mo kesa sa posibleng resulta ng psych eval mo? Yung totoo?!" Val retorted. She just made a face at her friend's remark.

"Besides, girl. Ayaw mo ba nun? Kung sakaling madiscover nya na baliw ka talaga at least ang tingin nya sayo ay seksi at magandang baliw?! O, pak genern!" Val reasoned out again which earned her a tap on the forehead.

"Aray! Ikaw bes sobra ka na, ha! Libre na nga ang fashion consultation mo nananakit ka pa ah!" Val pouted.

"Sorry na! Ikaw naman kasi, bes. Kita mo na ngang panic mode na ko puro kalokohan ka pa rin. Syenpre alam ko naman na kahit di naman talaga date ito kailangan presentable pa rin pero ayaw ko din namang overdressed ako. Okay na ba talaga 'to?!" She asked again.

"Hay naku, bes! Pag nakita ka ni Sir RJ sigurado ako makakalimutan nya yang papsych eval na yan at baka sya pa ang mabaliw syo! Shoulders mo pa lang bes wala na syang kawala!" Val remarked emphatically.

Just then they heard a light tap on the door to her office. Reeza, their young secretary/receptionist peered inside and informed them giddily:

"Ms. Dei, may naghahanap po sa inyong Greek god sa labas. Papapasukin ko na po ba dito or pwede pong iuwi ko na sa bahay namin?" Reeza asked cheekily to which Val replied:

"Oy, ineng wag kang maharot! Uunahan mo pa si Ms. Dei. Sya ang mag-uuwi este may dinner meeting pala sila kaya papasukin mo na dito. Pati tuloy ako nahahawa syo!" Val exclaimed.

Dei did a quick once over again of herself before she turned towards the door after taking a deep breath to calm her nerves.

"Kaya mo to, Dei...calm and poised dapat..." She pep-talked inwardly.

There's another knock on the door before it opened to reveal a vision in denim.

"In fairness, on point ang description ni Reeza. Greek god nga,bes!" Val whispered behind her. She on the other hand just watched him silently as he enter the officer and walked towards them.

"Good afternoon, ladies!" He greeted them with his signature megawatt, be-dimpled smile that she momentarily lost her ability to speak. He stopped in his track  a few feet away from her and they just stared at each other wordlessly.

"Hi, Sir RJ! Welcome to Maiden Photography Studio! Would you like some tea, coffee or..." Valerie interrupted their staring match with the offer but Dei stopped her even before she's able to finish her question.

"Huy! Umayos ka, Valeria! Nakakahiya kay RJ!" She admonished with a side glance at her guest who is just watching their banter with a soft chuckle.

"What??! Or water kaya yung sasabihin ko...ano ba iniisip mo?!" Val retorted with a raised eyebrow.

"Sige, Ms. Val, water na lang. Thank you. By the way, I brought some pastries for you and your team ." RJ answered as he handed her a pastry box which Val immediately took before she can even extend her hands to receive it.

"Oh, thank you, Sir RJ! Ang sweet mo naman! Dalhin ko na 'to sa pantry and I will also get you some water. Maiwan ko muna kayo dito children. Behave, ah!" Val remarked with a knowing smile. Dei gave her a withering look but her friend just turned her back on them with a smirk and closed the door behind her. Dei faced RJ shyly.

"Pasensya ka na kay Val. Di na naman nakainom ng maintenance nya.." She apologized awkwardly.

"Don't worry. I find her antics very entertaining. Ang saya nyo siguro lagi sa shoots. Walang dull moments kasi ang kulit nyo magbiruang magkaibigan."  RJ answered with a smile as he continue to stare at her. She just smiled awkwardly, feeling self conscious at the attention.

"U-upo ka muna medyo maaga pa naman at malapit lang dito yung restaurant. It will only take us a few minutes to get there..." She suggested, trying to buy some time to compose herself first before they leave.

He thanked her as she led him to the  sofa set at the corner of her office. They sat down side by side with a modest space between them. She is starting to feel awkward again and RJ seemed to notice it for he asked her:

"Are you okay? If you are not comfortable with the evaluation we can cancel it..." He started. She suddenly turned to him wide eyed.

"No! I mean...okay lang naman. Medyo kinakabahan lang kasi psych eval kaya yun! Paano kung may madiscover tayo na may sakit pala ako sa pag-iisip? Paano kung..." She blabbered on. But her what ifs were interrupted when he suddenly took her hand and squeezed it gently.

"Dei, calm down. I'm sorry. Forget about the evaluation. We don't have to do that anymore. Let's cancel the session...w-we don't have to go to dinner either...I would not want to stress you out, u-uwi na lang kaya ako...sorry." He hurriedly said. She flinched at his words.

"Di naman kita pinapauwi, ah! Kinakabahan lang naman ako. Normal naman yun, di ba? It usually takes time for me to be comfortable with anyone. Medyo nag-ooverthink lang siguro ako kasi first time ko gagawin 'to." She shyly explained.

"Are you sure? Ayaw ko din naman na napipilitan ka lang..." He looked at her with worry as he continue to hold her hand. She smiled awkwardly at him.

She was about to respond when the door to her office suddenly opened and Val entered unceremoniously with a bottled water in her hand.

"Sir RJ, here is your...whoah! Nawala lang ako sandali may pa holding hands na! Pero sige carry on lang children! Eto na 'yung water. Okay, bye!" Val hurriedly placed the water on the side table of the sofa then immediately went out of the room again without looking back. Only then did they simultaneously realized that he is still indeed holding her hand. Dei moved back and abruptly pulled her hand away. RJ reluctantly let go of her hand, reached out for the bottled water, opened it and drank almost half its content.

"I think we better go now...baka malate tayo sa reservation natin sa restaurant..." She haltingly said as she looked up again at his face. She caught him already staring at her.

"Are you absolutely sure you are up for this? I don't want you feeling awkward the whole time...I-I would prefer it that you enjoy this dinner more than anything else..." He answered looking at her eyes intently.

"Huh? Why? Psych evaluation lang naman 'to, di ba?" She asked softly.

"Y-yes...but I was hoping to also get to know you better, Dei."