Chapter 61

JENN'S P.O.V.

Alex pulled to a stop in front of my house. I'd fallen apart once I'd finished telling him everything, and had sobbed onto him for a full hour. But he was right, I did feel better. Then he got a phone call from the station, and told me news that froze me. Carmine and Sheila had escaped. And no one was answering the phone at my house.

The police knew I was with Alex, and I'd told them where everyone should have been tonight. Including my mom, who I'd left alone at home. Alex had immediately headed over to my house. My house that was now a crime scene. A back window was broken into, and my mom was gone. The house had been empty when the police got there. Now it was crawling with officers.

On the way over, I'd called my dad, Noah, and Katherine. After the first call, Alex had to talk, because i could barely form words through my panic.

"Stay here. Okay?" Alex said, as he got out of the car. I nodded numbly.

Just as he reached the other end of my lawn, my phone rang. I instinctively picked it up. the regretted it, as Carmine's voice came through the connection.

"Hello Jennifer. Make any sort of indication that something's wrong, and your mom pays for it. Isn't that right, Melinda?"

"Go to hell." I heard my mom hiss at him.

"Well, that isn't a very nice way to talk to your son-in-law." I could practically hear the laughter in his voice.

I kept my voice emotionless, "What do you want Carmine?"

He laughed, "You doll. We've been over this. But if you don't come, I have some friends who wouldn't mind paying me a nice consolation amount if I gave them your mom."

My blood froze in my veins. "Leave her alone."

"Of course. If you come."

I closed my eyes, and leaned back against the seat. "Where?"

"I'm across the street from you right now. Get out of the car on the driver's side, and cross over here. Stay out of the light from the streetlamps."

I swallowed, "And you'll let my mom go? Unharmed? And let her be safe?"

He chuckled, "Of course doll-"

"He's lying!! It's a trap sweet-OWW!!" My mom's voice screamed through the phone.

Then Carmine came back on. "I'd hurry of I were you. Or I might be inclined to lend your mom and that basement apartment ,with a fully stocked cabinet, to a friend of mine."

I took a deep breath. "I'm coming. Where exactly across the road?"

"Go behind the dumpster on lot 613. I'll meet you there."

"Ok."

I took a deep breath, and crawled to the other side of the car. With a quick glance at the officers on my front lawn, I opened the door and got it. Then quietly closed it again.One last glance to make sure no one was looking and I darted across the street.

I couldn't let him do anything to my mom. As much as my skin crawled at the thought of facing Carmine, without the police protection, again, i'd rather face him than leave him with my mom. No matter what happened to me.

I ducked behind a tree, and looked at the dumpster. I could see vague shadows behind it. 2 of them. I took a deep breath and crossed over, coming to a stop beside Carmine.

My mom was tied up beside him, with a cloth in her mouth. Her eyes widened in horror when she saw me. I dropped down beside her and pulled the cloth out of her mouth.