Chapter one

Chapter one

I was rested by the edge of the Davis River, my hand emerged in it's menacing waters, threatening to pull me in along with my hand.

Hurriedly, I pulled my hand from the waters and checked my watch. 10:15.

Oh god, father was going to kill me.

So much for no more running.

I ran home as fast as my legs could carry me.

It was pitch black, And I couldn't see my own hand in front of my face but I knew the way by heart.

"Where were you?" My maid, Maria greeted me at the giant Ebony doors.

I had to hop the fence in order to even get to the door, and that fence was ten feet tall!

"No where." I lied.

She didn't question me further, if you ask me she was probably tired. That tended to happen a lot around my house. My father almost never slept, he was always "Inventing" all day. I slipped past her and into the house.

"Where's my father?" I turned back before running into the kitchen.

"In his lab." She sighed and left.

"Do you want anything to eat?" I called after her.

"I'm going to bed!" She ignored my question.

I knew she was lying, she never went to sleep before midnight, who was she kidding?

I continued into the kitchen and grabbed two slices of pizza, thanks to our personal chef. I ate at the gargantuan table made to fit over twenty people, then I headed to the basement. Father's personal lab greeted me with a door thicker than anyone I knew, including my dad.

"Uh... Hi." I spoke.

My father was talking to a boy who I wouldn't doubt if someone told me that he was just a year older than me.

My father spun around and frowned, his fist clenched.

"You weren't at dinner."

"I-I lost track of time." I lied.

The boy eyed me as if I were a threat.

Please. Me, a threat? No way.

His dark blue eyes scanned me, almost trying to figure out either who I was or how to take me down with the nearest tool. He had tousled dark brown hair, which was almost black in the LED lights that lit up the ginormous lab.

"Who's this?" I motioned toward the boy.

"No one. You should be in bed."

"Okay, goodnight." I sighed and jumped up the stairs.

There was no arguing with my father.

I walked into my bathroom three floors above the ground and five floors above my father's lab.

As I gazed into the mirror, I scanned my face. The normal bruises littered my face, chest, arms, and back. The kids at school found it funny to beat on me when teachers weren't looking, but they only hit my face and arms. I'll leave where I got the other bruises up to your imagination.

"Dang it." I growled once my eyes spotted at a single gash running from my blonde hairline to the edge of my eye.

I could just cover it with my hair once I got to school.

I ran a brush through my rat's nest of blonde hair then I changed into my pajamas and jumped into bed.