Chapter four

Chapter four

Ugh, the pain was still there. My skin burned, I sat up and clutched my head.

I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to feel and hear my heartbeat in my skull... am I?

My legs shook as I tried to stand up, though my vision was blurry, I could see the big details, like the trees, bushes, and a deer in the distance.

I placed my hand on the tree to steady myself.

A deafening BANG made me jump, I soared, above the trees, above the clouds. I clutched my eyes closed.

This had to be a dream, right? No way was this real.

I took a deep breath and tried to make the pain go down. I urged myself to go down.

It worked.

Well, a little too well.

I plummeted toward the ground,

Suddenly someone grabbed my out of the air. I wrapped my arms around their neck and squeezed my eyes shut.

"Calm down and loosen your grip." The voice spoke.

I tried my best to calm down but if I did then would I wake up? Or would this amazing dream continue?

My feet hit solid ground and I opened my eyes. My tree had a gaping hole in it, obviously from whatever had made that noise.

"Don't worry, it only hurts at first." The woman in front of me spoke.

"What?" I asked, not sure if I had heard her correctly.

"Natalie!" A voice yelled from deeper in the woods.

"What?" The woman, whose name must've been Natalie, turned and yelled toward the voice.

In a gust of wind a man stood face-to-face with her.

"Good, you did something right, for once." He sneered.

"'For once'?" Natalie growled and launched herself at the man.

"This is why I never leave you two in the same room alone." Another man emerged from the shadows and approached me.

"Who are you people?" I took a step back in fear, ready to run if I needed to.

"I am Simon, they are Natalie and Canon. Do not worry, none of us are here to hurt you."

"How can I be sure?" I eyed him.

"You do not need to trust me, if you choose you may figure out this whole 'superhero' thing on your own."

"'Superhero'?" I murmured.

"Yes."

"I-I think you've made a mistake." I took a step back.

"Follow me." He turned and started walking toward a fallen tree, obviously trusting me to follow him.

Needless to say, I did.

Simon pressed a hidden button in the tree and a door appeared out of thin-air. He entered and I followed. As I entered the darkness swallowed me.

Bang.

The lights overhead flickered on.

"Have you been paying attention to the news lately?" He sat down at a desk.

"No, why?"

He tossed me a newspaper.

"Read the first article."