Chapter thirty six

CHAPTER THIRTY SIX

Agent Barnes and I stood at the balcony, he was eating, but I couldn't bring myself to feel hunger.

"Does it get better?" I questioned.

"Which part? The being hunted down like an animal? Or the nightmares? No, none of it gets better. Never." He shook his head.

"It is just... Alivia... she is young and... just, the stuff they injected her with... I am... I am fearful that they injected me with the same uh, items..."

"I don't know, maybe. The Avengers can help you like they helped me, they—"

"Over half of them hate me, I remember that much."

"That doesn't matter, they'll still help you."

I sighed, his tales were helpful but not truthful.

"I was lucky, I had Steve and a Smithsonian exhibit to remember."

"'Smithsonian'?"

"A famous place where people learn crap about history." He explained.

I nodded.

"The girl, Elizabeth, hinted that you two were really close, you should ask her a few questions. Oh, and ask for a change of clothes as well, the suit isn't your color." He smirked.

I let out a laugh, "Was not really my choice."

"It is now."

"Until they find me again, that is."

He couldn't deny it.

"But this time I have a reason to fight, to keep my memories."

He smiled, "For a reason to fight." He raised his glass.

I mirrored his action and smiled, "And for beating the crap out of the people that made us killing machines."

"Sounds like a plan." He took a gulp of his drink.

"I hear a heartbeat." I murmured, my hand drifted to my knives. "Who is there?" I boomed.

"Just little 'ol me." Elizabeth emerged from the doorway.

"Oh." I relaxed a little, my hand rested on top of the railing.

"I just wanted to tell you that I'm working on some new blueprints for your arms, some that aren't Hydra-infested."

"That sounds good." I laughed, my eyes drifted to my right arm, the dark red Hydra symbol seemed to glare back at me from the metal.

Who was I before I became this... This tool?

Was I just a normal kid?

Picked from the hordes to become a soldier?

Or was I special in some way?

How long would I have to remain like this?

Oh, how much I wanted my memories back.

"Hey, let's get some sleep." Elizabeth placed her hand gently on my metal shoulder. "You can stay in my room."

I nodded and she steered me toward the elevator.

"Elizabeth!" Barnes called after us.

She turned toward him, "Yeah?"

"Just... Be careful. Supergirl, just... be prepared for the nightmares."

I nodded, it was good to have a warning for once.

Yeah, the warning did nothing to help, but hey, at least I was prepared.