Chapter forty two

CHAPTER FORTY TWO

I gasped and sat up, but fell back down due to the sudden rush of pain to my shoulder.

"Woah, hey, take it easy!" Bruce ran over, his voice was quiet, like a whisper.

I groaned and my head fell back into the pillow, "What happened?"

"Hydra tried to kidnap Barnes again, don't worry, he's safe."

"That— That doesn't make sense. My phone..." I looked around, finally spotting it on the bedside table, I reached for it on accident with my bad arm but pulled it back, flinching. "Ow, remind me not to do that again... Bruce, give me my phone. I remember something about my phone."

He grabbed my phone and handed it to me.

I found the messages Hunter had sent me on my phone and showed Bruce my phone.

"I knew it wasn't a dream." I sighed, "No nightmare is that bad. They weren't after Bucky, they were trying to take me to Hunter."

He rubbed his face, "We can talk about this in the morning. Tony... well, he already..." Bruce motioned to my dad, who was asleep in one of the nearby chairs.

I let out a weak laugh, "How long was I out?"

"Just a few hours." He assured me, "But you need to sleep. We all do."

I nodded and sank into the bed.

The next morning I woke up before Dad, I had Bruce (who had slept in one of the chairs and had woken up before me) put my arm in a sling so I didn't feel completely useless. Useless was how Hunter wanted to view me.

I found a rubber glove and threw it at Dad's face. He jolted up and rubbed his face, when he saw me he grinned.

"You're awake."

"Thanks Captain Obvious. You're not the only one that's been shot before. Come on, let's go find the others." I motioned for him to come with me.

"Woah, no way, you need rest." He jumped up and stood in front of me.

"I'm not tired. Maybe I can help."

"No way, you need rest."

"I already slept. I'm not tired."

"You—"

"Dad. He wants me to feel defenceless. I don't want to give him what he wants. I know more about Hunter than anyone else, I can help."

He fell silent.

We headed to the kitchen, where everyone was planning. They didn't notice Dad or I enter.

"...We need to figure out what makes Hunter tick, I say we have Tony or Bruce hack into his old house's video cameras and figure out how to take this guy down, how Hydra got a hold of him. For all we know he's the victim." Steve was speaking.

"He's not the victim. I have the scars to prove it." I stepped toward them. "Hunter punches with his left arm first, clenches his teeth on the left side if he's going to punch once, right side if he's going to punch multiple times. He's always worked with Hydra, they value him. He loves to feel more dominant. Hunter's not a victim, he never has been, he never will be. My guess is that he'll be back at the Hunter estate, that's where he feels most dominant."

"How do you know all of that?" Bucky eyed me.

"It doesn't matter."

"You should be resting." Steve told me.

"No, I should be helping." I looked to Natasha and Clint, who I knew wouldn't tell me to rest, "The best entrance point is the roof, once an hour the maid takes a smoking break. Now that I'm not there it'll be, if my calculations are correct, three times every hour, she hates her job, can't stand it. She'll let you guys go in, the staff know me, they'll let you pass without a word."

They nodded.

"How do you know so much about the Inventor?" Bucky questioned.

"He used to be my father. Not anymore."

"The In—"

"Yes. Now... uh, F.R.I.D.A.Y. pull up a hologram screen, go through my laptop, access the Hunter residence video cameras eleven years ago, it was June fifteenth. 3:12. Lowest floor, it's labeled as the Lab." I ordered.

F.R.I.D.A.Y. did as I told, I let the video run for a second and spoke again, "Pause. The entrance points are here," I pointed to the elevator, "Here," I pointed to the stairs, "And here," I pointed to the other stairs. "The elevator is probably the best option, the stairs are heavily guarded and heavily surveillanced. The elevator can easily be hacked. He wants to be caught, but he would adore killing an Avenger. Bucky, you can't go."

"What? Why not?"

"The entire premises is guarded by Hydra. He has machines that can tie you down and keep you there, trust me, they would want nothing more than getting their best agent back."

He huffed but didn't disagree.

"When you bring him in for questioning it needs to be Stark and I in there."

"Why am I Stark now? You're Stark too."

"I'm a Stark-Hunter, it's different."

"Why you and Stark? The Inventor knows both of you."

"He hates both of us, he's also felt dominant with both of us, meaning he'll want to dangle information in front of us."

"Good thinking mini-me." Dad nodded.

"'Mini-me'?"

"Smart smaller humanoid that just so happens to be my adopted daughter. I thought that was obvious." He shrugged.

I sighed and rubbed my face.

"Wait, why'd you go to this specific moment? Why not just pull up blueprints?" Steve questioned.

"I don't know, it was the first thing that came to mind." I shrugged.

"F.R.I.D.A.Y. pull up the different floors please." He spoke.

The other cameras came up, I spoke again hurriedly before they could all come up.

"Except the kitchen-living room area." I ordered.

"What happened in there?"

"The past."