Chapter twenty one

CHAPTER TWENTY ONE

Once I saw the Man of Iron, I knew.

The inventor went easy on him, those were the kind of beatings Elizabeth got when she didn't get an +A on a test.

I laughed and stepped to the side of his bed.

"Do you think it's funny that he got beaten half to death?" Cap demanded.

"Geez, chil out Capsical." Iron Man laughed quietly.

"I do not believe it is hysterical, though it is very interesting. I have seen these marks before, they are weak, not the worst the Inventor can do. He was going easy on you... Why?"

"He was not going easy on me, I assure you."

"And I assure you, he was going easy on you. It's an easy fix, truly." I laid my hand just below his arc reactor.

I healed him and he sat up.

"Oh god, that— Ugh." He moved around.

I squeezed my eyes shut and opened them again, trying to clear the spots from my eyes.

I couldn't fall asleep, I had no idea why, finally I just gave up and started exploring the tower.

Then, I heard something strange.

"J.A.R.V.I.S., check my emails for me." Tony spoke.

I peeked my head in the door and silently slipped in. People watching was much better than doing nothing.

"Yes sir," J.A.R.V.I.S. answered. "You have thirty-two unread emails."

"Any important?"

"One that you may want to take a look at."

"Okay, put it up on the screen."

"Yes sir."

After a few moments Iron Man spoke again.

"Oh, it's that." He sighed, looking at the screen. "Annual banquet to the rich and powerful." He spoke as if it were a movie poster.

"You should go." I spoke up, stepping into the light.

"Geez kid, you scared me." He jumped.

"You need to go. The Inventor will be there. He never misses a banquet."

"Sure, fine, I'll take Nat."

"They will know if you take anyone other than the female you."

"Pepper?"

"Yes."

"Well Martin's will be there so I guess it won't be all that bad, but I'm still arriving late."

"Who?"

"Martin Industries. How do you not know who the Martin's are? Have you been living under a rock?"

"No. Why would anyone live under a rock?"

He just sighed and rubbed his face.

-3 weeks later, the night of the banquet-

"Be warned," I spoke the the Avengers and Pepper. "The Inventor will not come peacefully. And he will have guards, everyone remember their role?"

"I can't believe Pepper and I are the bait." Iron Man huffed as Pepper fixed his tie.

She wore a beautiful, long white dress with jewels around the waist along with a beautiful diamond necklace.

"If you see my h— Elizabeth do not approach her."