Morning : Chapter 40

Lexi's POV

Slowly waking up, I felt Ember's hand grab my shirt.

"Morning, Ember." I said grabbing her small hand.

She was laying against my chest as I held her with my right arm. Looking over at Isabella, she was asleep. I grabbed my phone that was on the side table and looked at the time.

"12:00 o'clock? Already?" I said outloud.

Getting up, I went downstairs to check if Katie and Trina were up.

"Morning Lexi, how is Ember?" Katie asked me as she was cooking.

"She is fine. Do you have the formula?" I asked her.

"Yeah, it's over on the counter. Grab it and one of the bottles." Katie replied.

"Okay." I said and went over to the counter.

Grabbing the formula and bottle in one hand and supporting Ember in the other, Trina grabbed the bottle and formula out of my hand.

"I'll make it." Trina said.

"Thanks." I told her.

As I sat at one of the barstools, Trina mixed the formula and shook the bottle. Handing it over to me, I took it from her and gave it to Ember. Holding the bottle in Ember's mouth, she happily drank it.

"So, is Isabella up yet?" Katie asked.

"Not when I was up there."I replied to her.

She nodded and flipped a pancake. As Ember ate, I waited for breakfast or brunch you could call it to be done.

"Oh morning Isabella." Trina said as Isabella entered the kitchen.

"Morning." Isabella replied with a groggy voice.

I smiled at Isabella as she walked over to me. Isabella sat on the seat beside me and was handed a plate by Trina. As Isabella ate her food, I looked down into Ember's eyes.

I looked into her eyes full of happiness with her innocent glare. Considering how she is here, the innocent part of her is hard to believe yet the beautiful thing about life is that you are born innocent and pure no matter the conditions before. For the first time since I've had Ember, I had a flashback to the day she became. I felt guilty and disgusting just thinking about it.

"Trina?" I asked her.

"Yeah?" She asked me.

"Can you watch Ember? I'm going to take a shower." I asked her.

"Yeah, no problem." Trina said coming over and taking Ember from my arms.

Walking to the bathroom, I grabbed a towel and set it beside the shower. Looking into the mirror, I blinked and looked at my face. It has changed since I was in that horrible point of my life yet I can still see the sadness and loss of hope in my eyes. Feeling a tear cascade down my cheek, I turned the shower on waiting for it to get hot.

After a minute or so, I stripped down and got in closing the curtain after me. Putting my face under the water, I felt my eyes stinging. Wetting down my hair, I scrubbed it with shampoo and conditioner. Grabbing the body wash, I cleansed my body as much as I possibly could wishing I could peel myself apart to try and find a bit of innocence left. Realizing scrubbing myself raw with a loofah won't do anything, I turned off the water and grabbed the towel. Wrapping my body in the towel, I stepped out and looked one last time in the mirror.

My mind was blank and full of disappointment in myself. Opening the door, I walked to my room to grab my clothes. I sorted through the clothes and decided on some sweatpants and a T-shirt. Drying myself off, I changed into the clothes. I quickly dried my hair one more time and went back to the kitchen.

"Are you okay, Lex?" Isabella asked me.

"Yeah, fine." I replied and walked over to Trina.

"Sweetie..." Trina trailed off.

"Thanks for holding her." I said and took her back into my arms.

"Lexi, your eyes are bloodshot. What's wrong?" Trina asked me.

"I got some shampoo in them, no big deal." I replied.

"Okay..." Trina doubtfully replied.

Bouncing Ember in my arms, I sat down on the sofa. I grabbed the remote and turned the TV on.

"You sure you're alright, Lex?" Isabella questioned me sitting down next to me.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Why?" I asked her.

"Well, you're eyes are bloodshot and puffy. Your arms are all red." Isabella replied.

"I got shampoo in them and I had a hot shower." I lied looking at my arms which were stinging.

Isabella set her hand on my arm that was controlling the remote. Flinching, I moved my arm.

"Lexi... you're lying to me." Isabella said.

"Okay damn... I guess I rubbed them too much." I replied.

"And you were crying." She told me.

"Yeah, so?" I said clicking on a channel.

"You need some help. I've recovered but your situation is different." She replied.

"Isabella, I'm fine." I told her.

I saw her frown out of the corner of my eye yet I ignored it.

Kissing Ember's forehead, I laid back into the sofa as Jazz curled up on my feet.

---------
Please vote, comment, and follow.