Chapter 53 Prying Eyes

Soundtrack: A Demon's Fate by Within Temptations

You'll burn this time

Seeing the violence

It's feeding my mind

No one is saving you

How can you find

A heaven in this hell

Her POV

Watching him slowly digest my words, I let go of the Vanguard. I've done my part. I have just unleashed him from his own personal hell, from his own pain. Hearing how much he suffered just by standing behind his brother's shadow and knowing how much he valued the bond between him and his brother were tonight's best realization of me. He is a good man and he deserves to free himself, to express his own feelings and not just stay on the sidelines.

I smiled at him as he gave me an inquiring look, deciding whether he should go after his own realizations. I nodded at him saying, "Go. Dance with her."

"But I need to--"

I pointed at my earpiece, turning it on. "I'm safe. I'll be listening to your confession, Trione. Don't worry."

For the last time, he smiled at me and nodded. As I watch him go after the girl that he really loves, who was just standing meters away while dancing with some unknown man, I can't help but cry on the inside. The picture of the ethical Vanguard's happy ending makes me cry out of happiness. Finally, his broken heart will be mended. Maybe not tonight, but eventually, his happily ever after will come.

I looked around and tried to erase the uneasiness that I am feeling. Kanina ko pa nararamdamang may nakatingin sa akin. I searched every suspicious creature in this hall. Wala, wala sa kanila ang taong iyon. Although they are looking at me, the eerie feeling was not coming from them. I can feel someone's prying eyes but I can't find it. I must be freaking out.

Heaving a deep sigh, I took the listening device from my ear. Tiningnan ko ang aparatong iyon bago saglit na nag isip. There's no turning back now, Curran. This is your game. With a firm heart, I held a tight grip of the thing, intentionally breaking it into pieces before letting it slip out of my hand. I immediately proceeded to the farthest corner of the hall where my target have been hiding. If I had not known what kind of a snake she is, I will never notice her. She's an expert in lurking in the dark.

Flipping my usual self off, I let my inner devil take over. The romantic music is still on but the mood that I have right now doesn't go with it. Making my way through the crowd of businessmen and bumping into someone, I stopped momentarily. Tiningnan ko ang taong nabangga ko at hindi na nagulat nang makita kung sino iyon.