#2 Monsters ✔

Jane's POV

I held the rabbit in my palms, suffocating the creature.

My face was smeared with dirt, elbows filled with scratches from crawling, my cheeks were stained with dry tears, as I looked into the animal's wide terrified eyes.

I'm sorry.

My lips trembled as I felt its heartbeat fading, its shaking figure suddenly stopped and laid still under me, my shoulders shook as I held back the tears.

The rabbit.. it reminds me of mother.

I remember seeing a glimpse of the rabbit's kids, they were hiding under a tree, just as the mother hopped her way towards a bush, I managed to catch it. This also reminded me of mother and what the monsters have done to her.

I'm so so sorry.

A thought echoed as I imagined her kids' reaction towards their mother not returning back to them.

I gulped and took the rabbit by the ears and made my way back to my father.

The part we live in is mostly an empty land, with dry bushes and almost dead trees. Some of the families managed to build a camp with branches they have collected, and some of them used their own clothing to warm themselves. Yeah, seeing a naked man walking around is not weird at all.

I tried many times to build a camp but failed, and my father didn't help either but I did not complain, every omega family lives on their own, everyone takes care of themselves, minding their own business. But when it comes to food, they will turn into something uncomfortable to remember.

My father and I sleep on the edge of our land, right near the forest so I wouldn't have to walk too much and tire my bare feet, going back and forth.

I got to him and placed the rabbit in front of him, pecking his forehead while he stared at his meal with emptiness.

"I'm not hungry." He muttered.

I bit my bottom lip, "Come on dad, you have to eat, we both know you are starving, and I know you want to have the rabbit all for yourself, but we have to share." I tried to lighten up the mood but failed miserably, he turned his hollowed eyes towards me.

"I won't eat it." He spoke, this time it was more firmly, determinately.

"Please dad, you need to, or you won't be able to live another day." I pleaded.

He lips turned into a grim, "Go away. And take that with you."

I pursed my lips, "Father I won't leave until you take at least one bite, just one bite that will make you live for another three days." I spoke, becoming less impatient.

He growled, "I said leave!" He grabbed the rabbit's back and threw it at me.

I gasped and hugged the rabbit, a little afraid with the idea of holding a dead animal, but I have to hold it, or else it would have been taken away from me in a blink of an eye.

I shook my head, "If you won't eat it, so would I." Placing the rabbit in front of us, and crossed my hands together.

He closed his eyes for a moment, taking in a deep breath, "I do not want to do this Jane, take that away or you would leave me no choice but to do something you will regret."

I ignored his empty threat and challenged him.

He wouldn't do anything right?

He chuckled humorlessly, "Then so be it." He snatched the rabbit and threw it towards the omegas, the rabbit landed right in the middle of a small family of three.