twenty-nine

"Sixty-Nine?"

Spits of laugher abrupt through the classroom as my eyes roll. Highschool immaturity at its finest.  

"Yes, Miss Porter, that's correct. 1969, Jan Palach set himself on fire in a protest. Does anybody know in what protest?"

Mr.Albahacky's eyes travel across the room, skimming over dreaded faces, resting on Jaces.

"Jace. How about you?"

He pauses his conversation with Jared.

"What?"

"1969, Jan Palach set himself to fire for what reason?"

"Uh.." He glances around the room. His gental eyes landing on me as I roll mine.

It's silent for several seconds before I mouth the words,

'Union'

He looks back at the teacher "Onio- Union! Because of the union."

"The Soviet union. That's correct. Next time instead of finding Miss Porter for the answer, why don't you make an effort to pay attention? I can put you back into your own grades history class. Wouldn't look very good on your report for college."

He shrugs "Im not going to college"

"Dont push it. I didnt ask for a smart answer"

I watch him out of the corner of my eye. His attitude had gone haywire since the trial and nothing had been the same.

The bell ending sixth hour rang, standing up from the plastic seats with an armful of a history book and binders.

My body walks next to Jaces out the door, his eyes focused in on anything but me.

My eyes read across the top of my binder, the small words being focused on until I get in the mixed of kids in the hallway for passing time.

"Hey Porter"

I look behind my shoulder to Jace confused, his voice echoing in my mind. Porter? 

"We still on for tonight?"

His friends all "ooh" him, hitting him on his shoulder as if I were his future one night stand skank.

I make eye contact with each of their smirking faces.

"Yeah?"

"Good. My house instead? Your parents are always home"

"Yeah okay"

"See you tonight"

My body flinched as his hands make contact with my butt, walking away with his friends surrounding him like some sort of possy.

Around his friends, I was always his booty call. God forbid Jace Norman to be just friends with a girl that he didn't fuck.

I shove my stuff in my locker. Banging the metal sides with the hard covers of my books.

"Margo!"

I turn around, facing Ashley, I give her a smile and go back to my locker.

"Hey Ash"

"We still hangin out this weekend? My mom bought the tickets"

"Yeah of course"

So maybe Jace wasnt the only one who's changed. But becoming friends with someone you hated wasnt nearly as douchey as making someone pretend to be a booty call.

"Good. Hey did you talk to Brit? She's been looking for you"

"No not yet, I have P.E with her next hour though."