thirty-three

"Welcome to Starbucks what can I get for you?"

I grin at the monotone voice behind the speaker. Picturing the pissed off look on his face.

I squint at the menu through my sunglasses for a split second. My body being flooded by the sun from the topless car.

"Can I get a veni iced chi tea latte and..." I look over at the passenger side at Brit. Her black hair in a top knot, I watch my reflection in her blue tinted aviators.
"What do you want Brit?"

"Mmm, carmel macchiato... iced."

"And a venti iced carmel macchiato"

"Will that be all?"

"Yes sir" I play.

"$9.39 at the window."

"Dumbass didnt even know it was you" Brit laughs.

"Right?" I smile.

I pull up, stopping at the window.

I watch it open, grinning up at Jace, his forehead covered with the green baseball hat.

"Margo Porter" He shakes his head.

I hand him my ten, "Did you know it was me?"

"Of course I knew it was you. Your voice isn't exactly forgetable" He hands me my change, "Hey Brit"

"Hello Norman. Where's my coffee?"

He ignores her, watching me "Where did you get the car?"

"Barrowing it from my parents"

"Why are you out here?"

"We wanted coffee"

"So you drove a half an hour out of town for coffee?"

"Hot guy in a Starbucks uniform, didn't sound like such a bad idea"

He rolls his eyes smiling, handing out out drinks.

"When do you get out?" I take them from him.

"Four"

"Come over afterwards?"

"Sure. I'll see ya"

"Bye"

"Goodbye Norman!" Brits voice bounces off the cement as we pulled away.

I push back my medium length hair, blinding me from the road. I pull out of the parking lot.

I press on the gas down the roads, Brits boney fingers twisting and pressing the buttons for the radio. The air rushing past us engulfed with humidity.

My brakes beneath the modern convertible squeak quietly at the California traffic. The radio turns down at the horn honking next to as. Our head turns toward the three guys in the car with the windows down.

Our distant reflection is visible through their sunglasses and white smiles. A car full of buff Ken dolls.

Brit giggles, waving. But I watch quietly.

"Snapchats?" The driver calls.

"That's a fucking joke" I mummble, Brit nudges me with her elbow as holds out her phone for them to see. I creep the car up as close as I can to the one in front, attempting to get away from them.

"Live a little Margo" She whispers over to me, smiling back at the guys. "Your little boyfriends cheating on you anyway"

"What?"

"You're gonna tell me you didn't see those hickeys when we pulled up?"

My eyes stare at the wheel. I swallow the anxiety creeping up from the depths of my body.
"Hes not my boyfriend anyway so" I shrug.