fifty

three twenty seven, monday morning.

thats when the call came.

only thirteen seconds long, the bitter reality of it only hit minutes after the other line ends. im stunned, my breath getting trapped in my throat as I gag for air.

I knew what it meant the second that voice came through.

my shaky fingers spasticly hit vanessas contact. it rings to voicemail, and through it all i would have more sympathy to her. if she would have just picked up the phone.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
11:53pm, Sunday

I pull back the scratchy blankets to a new bed. I had been in New Hampshire going on five days now.

Reconnecting with my old friends, and working things out between my mom and I to the point of staying with her.

She wanted me to come with her, but had to manage a deal with dad. She didnt just let me go like news was made out to be.

I wanted to stay. Have my old life back of everyone helping me to fit in. But being 18, I didnt have to worry about highschool girls excepting me anymore. I had to worry about my future. As crazy as it sounds, I believed that I was in love.

But I had left unannounced once again. Disappearing from him  like I had several times before. This one, was on me.

That next day would have been the day I met up with my ex love, to make amends and check in on him after the years being gone.

Only, I didnt get much sleep that night.
°°°°°°
3:27am, Monday

My body is driven out of a light sleep, groaning at the noise of what I had thought was my alarm. I let it ring for a second, finally dragging it in front of my face to squint at the screen.

Jaces contact that stretched across the screen. I glance up at the time and sigh. three hour time difference.

My voice mumbles a "hello" through sleep, sprawled out across my bed on my back. But as shuffling and snapping fill the other line, my body shoots up, covering the other ear in hopes of hearing what was going on.

I repeat myself. Nothing. It goes on for a few more seconds, splashes, like a water hitting a sinks surface is heard. and then, him.

"I'll miss you, princess"

the line does dead after that. goosebumps rise off my arms as my phone drops to the bed.

At first, I stare into the darkness of the room beyond me. But then, oxygen traps in my throat, closing my airways and causing me to gag on my thoughts.

My fingers click on his contact again. But right to voicemail this time.
I try him again.
again.
again.
again.
nothing.

His moms number, having the same effect.

something was wrong.

im screaming. screaming at my phone, yelling to pick up. the only thoughts traveling through my head are the ' what if 's '

I bolt into my moms room, but the only things that come from my mouth are sobs, managing to beg her to help. help me, please.

but there wasn't anything to be done. not at three in the morning. not across the country.

he was unraveling and i wasn't there to stop it.

i didn't sleep much that night, my breath stayed stiff as I continued to fill his phone with unresponsive texts and phone calls. and i didn't stop until i was on the first flight to california later that morning.