Chapter 37

(Your POV)

"Don't you dare look back, just keep your eyes on me.  I said you're holding back.  She said shut up and dance with me!" I sing out to the music that's playing and twirl Sammy around the kitchen with one arm.

She laughs out loud and starts dancing around like a mad woman while Baby Caiden watches her, doing his own little wiggle/dance from his place on my hip.

The timer on the oven goes off and I turn off the stove and the oven before placing the 10-month-old baby on the ground where he takes a couple steps before falling on his diaper-padded butt.

My phone suddenly starts ringing while I'm draining the pasta into the sink.  "Sams, can you get my phone please?"

She runs to the table to grab the phone and puts it on the counter next to me then walks over to baby Caiden and helps him stand back up while softly singing the wrong lyrics to the Walk the Moon song.

I quickly wipe my hands and pick up the ringing phone when Brooke's name flashes on the screen.

"Hey, what's up?  Everything all good?" I ask quickly.

"Hi, Y/N.  Yes everything is okay.  What are you doing right now?" She answers calmly.

"Uh, I'm cooking dinner." I say skeptically.

"Well, do me a favor and go sit down at the table for a second."  Brooke says and I slowly obey what she says. 

"Okay?  I'm sitting."  I chuckle humorlessly and watch the two kids dance while holding hands.

"He woke up.  Caiden is awake."

I can barely even hear her voice through the phone as it drops onto the table and I immediately cover my mouth.

Finally.

~

"Y/N! Holy shit he's back!?" Connor yells while running down the hospital hall toward where Sammy, Baby Caiden, and I are sitting right outside my best friend's room.

I stand up and put Baby Cai on the same seat as Sammy to hug Connor when he gets close enough. Sobs of relief rack both of our bodies until we calm down enough for him to hug Sammy and pick up his baby.

"So when can we see him?" Connor asks and clears his throat.

"Should be any minute now." I sit back down and let Sammy crawl into my lap. "They were just running some tests."

Half an hour later, two doctors and a nurse walk out of the room with our brunette nurse friend following them out and standing in front of us with a soft smile.

"He's going to need a lot of physical and speech therapy, but he's going to be okay." Brooke says and I let out a giant breath. "You can go in to see him now. He's aware of his surroundings and what happened but he's having a hard time formulating words right now so just try not to overwhelm him."

I hug Brooke with all I have and she gently rubs my back.  "I can put a movie on the tv out here and sit with the kids while you guys go in there.  I'm sure you're gonna need a moment before bringing them in with you."  The nurse says and I give her a grateful smile.  I leave my purse next to Sammy before Connor takes my hand and we walk to the door.