Chapter 40

Claire's POV

Just another day at school, it's recess right now and I'm exchanging my books. As I turn the corner and head upstairs, the school is fairly large, I hear giggling coming from the stairwell.

"Babe you have to be quiet or someone will hear you." A male voice whispers, but the sound bounces off the wall, making it louder. I crouch down and try to get a glimpse of who's there. All I can see is a bright red-haired girl, blocking the view of the mysterious male.

"I'm sorry I can't help it, you're tickling my neck." She giggles, she kind of looks like the girl from the party. My foot slips down a step making a loud thud, she turns around and looks.

"Who's out there?" She says.

Oh gosh, please don't see me, please don't see me.

"It's no one baby, no one's there." I finally see who the male is.

Zayn?

"But I heard something," she says pulling away from him.

"It's no one Sabrina, can I get a kiss?" He pulls her in. I'm filled with sadness as I watch him lock lips with her, I can almost feel my heart being ripped out. They continue to make out as the tears viciously pour out of my eyes, running back downstairs. Everything starts to blacken as I collapse on the ground.

***

My eyes open as I sit up, it's just another dream--no--nightmare. I check my phone seeing that it's 2 in the morning. I don't know what I'm doing before I know it, I'm calling Zayn. It rings a couple of times before he picks the phone up.

"Hello?" He says, his voice is groggy and raspy.

"C-Can I ask you something?" My voice is dry.

What am I doing?

"Yeah of course. What's wrong?" His voice changes into concern.

"At the party you were dancing with a girl."

"Yeah?"

"Was her name S-Sabrina?" I take my guess.

"How did you know?" He asks me, so I'm correct.

"Do you have feelings for her? Do you like her?" The words fall out of my mouth faster than I can catch them.

"What? No, she was just some girl that walked up to me and I danced with. Nothing connected between us. Why are you asking me this?" He says, some part of me wants to believe him but another part is sensing that he's lying to me. "I promise." He speaks, I didn't realize I haven't replied yet.

"O-Ok." My voice stutters. "Goodnight."

"Goodnight Claire." He says. I end the call and try to fall back asleep.

***

School is boring, as usual, I couldn't get an ounce of sleep when I woke up in the middle of the night, even with the music.

It's lunch right now and I've decided to sit at the boys' table. When I push the heavy doors open the the lunch room, all eyes are on me, the looks start to burn my body as I make my way toward their table. I sit down, the boys give their smiles at me as the noise level increases.

"Hey," Liam greets me.

"Hi," I take a bite out of my sandwich. I can feel Niall staring at me, well my sandwich. "Here," I give my other half to him.

"Thank you!" He shouts and chomps down. The boys give their 'that's him' look as I laugh inside.

"You guys aren't hungry?" I ask the rest of them. They nod their heads 'no' and continue to talk to each other. Harry is sitting opposite of me, looking at the other people in the room, but his gaze stops and I turn around.

Logan is staring back at Harry but now locks eyes with me, a smirk plays upon his face. I scoff in disgust as the boys turn to me, confusion on their faces. Turning back around, I finish my food and throw the plastic bag away. The bell rings, signaling for next class, I grab my bag and walk with the boys, making sure I don't see Logan on the way out.

Louis' POV

Gosh Logan has to stop staring at her, it's so damn creepy. I don't think he gets it but he can't have her, not in a million years. He just keeps trying and trying but it's not going to happen.

It's last period right now, the period after lunch went by fast, which doesn't surprise me at all, despite the fact that I've slept through it. Class is going on right now but I'm more focused on Claire, she's sitting next to me, writing down notes as the teacher talks.

"Louis do your work," she scolds me, not looking up at me. How does she know that I wasn't doing my work?

"I can see your hand not writing." She continues to write. How does she know what I'm thinking?

"I get it from my mom," she speaks again. Okay she scaring me.

"Yeah I know I kinda am, now do your work."

"Stop scaring me, I'll do my work." I tell her, she laughs in response as I open my notebook and begin to write.

I sigh in frustration as my hand begins to cramp, dropping the pencil, I look at my hand at the led markings it's left me. Claire must've noticed my actions as she hands me a tissue, I take it and wipe my hand, the led starts to rub off. I set the tissue down and start to open then close my hand, easing the pain lightly.

"Here," she takes a hold of my hand. I jump from the contact, my breathing increasing. She starts to message my hand, the pain going away quickly; her soft hands are cooling mine. "Does that feel better?" She snaps me out of my gaze.

"Y-Yeah." I stutter out. Now I'm the one stuttering.

"Why are you stuttering?" She looks into my eyes.

"Honestly, I don't know," I laugh. The bell rings, oh gosh thank god I've made it through the day. We begin to pack our things and head out, making sure that Claire is with us.

"Hey! Claire wait up!" We all turn around, including her, and see Logan jogging up to us.

"What the f.uck do you want?" I spat. He looks at me with a fake pained face, causing my anger to raise quickly.

"I just want to talk to her, alone." He says.

"She's not going to talk to you, nor be alone with you either." Zayn manages to keep his anger down by the steadiness in his voice. Claire is looking down at the floor, twiddling with her hands.

"Well I'm sorry you guys control her," he steps closer to her. We all take a step forward toward him, Claire behind us now, Logan raises his hands up in defeat. "I'll see you tomorrow then?" He says to her and leaves, without a reply from her.

"Gosh he annoys the f.uck out of me." Harry scoffs.

"I'm pretty sure he annoys all of us." Liam laughs. We look towards Claire, who is still looking down.

"Hey, you okay?" I touch her shoulder, she looks up.

"Yeah I'm fine. Can we go home now?" She fidgets.

Wait who's going to take her home?

"Yeah, I'll take you." Liam takes his keys out. "Bye guys." He says before he leaves, Claire following after him. We all head to our cars and drive home.