Chapter 70

Zayn's POV

"Hey mum," I greet her as I lean against the counter.

"Hey sweetie. Who was that on the phone earlier?" She asks me. I want to formally tell her that I have a girlfriend, not over the phone.

"It was just a friend. So why'd ya call?" I run my hand through my hair, making sure that it's dry, which it is.

"I was wondering when you're comin' home, it's getting late," she says as I hear screaming coming from the other line. "Girls, I'm on the phone!" I hear her shout.

"I'm actually coming home right now, I'll see you." She says her goodbye and I end the call. When I exit the kitchen, Claire is sitting on the couch, watching Tv.

"I'm gonna head out, I'll see you tomorrow okay babe?" I kiss the top of her head and grab my keys. She quickly walks over to me before I head out and kisses me.

"Bye," she says and I head out to my car, driving away from Claire's flat and heading towards my house.

Claire's POV

"It was just a friend." Is all that I hear right now. There must be a reasonable explanation for why Zayn said that.

After I clean everything up, which is hardly anything, I call Louis just to talk for the night. The phone rings but it goes to voicemail so I just end the call. After climbing out my window, I just scroll through my contacts until I see Niall's name. Never talked to him in a while. After I dial Niall's number, he immediately picks up.

"Hello?" Niall asks.

"Hey, Niall." I greet him. I can hear his breathing hitch for some reason. "Whatcha doin'?" I ask him, feeling a slight breeze come.

"I'm just in bed." He simply says.

"Hey, can I tell you something?"

"Yeah?" I lean my bask against the exterior side of my room.

"You seemed really sad these past couple of days. What's wrong Ni?" I smile at the nickname I just created.

"Ni?"

"I like that name, but not important. What's wrong?"

"It's nothing," Niall says. Damn short answers. "So how's you and Zayn?"

I smile at the though of Zayn. "Everything is going really great actually. He took me out to eat tonight." I hear Niall shift around and sobs. "Hey Niall, you alright?"

"Y-Yeah I-I'm fine," he chokes out.

"Ni? Should I come over?" I climb back into my room.

"No!" He shouts through the receiver. "I'm okay. I have to go."

"Okay by-" I'm cut off by him ending the call. I didn't mean to upset him.

For the night I just end up looking at the ceiling, waiting for sleep to come, but it never came.

Niall's POV

Claire is going to suspect that I love her sooner or later. I shouldn't have fucking cried over the phone, but she sounded so happy with her relationship with Zayn. The fact that their both happy, and I'm the one invisible, in pain.

Closing my eyes, I try to push away my problems and sleep.

***

"Hey Ni," Claire says as she enters my room.

"Hey babe," I say and kiss her on the lips before she lays on my bed. Lying down next to her, I kiss the nape of her neck and she giggles.

"Hey, no marks. I don't want Zayn to know." She turns around and starts sucking on me neck, leaving a love bite. "But that doesn't mean I can't do it to you." She laughs.

"Why don't you just leave him for me?" I suggest but she shakes her head.

"You know I can't to that, it'll crush him." She frowns.

"Babe, but you hang out with him more than me." I tell her as I reach for her hand.

"He asked me out first." As we were about to kiss, I hear my front door shut close.

"What was that?" I ask her. Carrying her down the stairs, I stop in my tracks at Zayn, who's blazing mad.

"You fucking jackass," he shouts and I carefully put down Claire.

"It's not wh-" she begins.

"I've heard that fucking crap before!" He keeps shouting. "And you!" He points to me. "How could you! I'm your best mate!"

"I guess you didn't give enough to her," I try to grab her hand but she shifts to the side. I look at her confusingly.

"Claire how could you do this to me?!" He asks her.

"I'm sorry!" She shouts crying hysterically. Zayn reaches out for her and she takes her hand, pulling her into a hug.

"Claire what about us?" I feel a tear run down my cheek.

She walks toward me, and pulls me into a deep, passionate kiss, her cheeks wetting mine, and says, " I love you enough to let you go." And with that, Zayn pulls her away from my house. The door shuts and darkness takes over me.

"Niall, sweetie, wake up," I jolt awake to see my mum. I quickly hug her, tightly, and start crying.

"Is it another Claire nightmare?" She asks and I nod into her chest.

These dreams or as my mum calls it 'Claire Nightmares', have been going ever since they've been going out. This one was the worst one yet.

I really have to control my emotions.

"I'm going to back to sleep mum, I'm fine." She nods and exits my room. I pull the covers over my body and try to think happy thoughts.