Chapter 88

***

Liam's POV

After we get our skates, Claire helps us tie them at the lounge area.

"Why did you tie them so tight?" Niall groans as he starts walking. He looks like he's struggling and we're not even on the ice yet.

"So you don't fracture your ankle if you fall." She says as she finishes tightening my laces.

Niall scoffs and helps me stand, stumbling a bit before regaining my balance. Harry helps Louis up while Zayn gets help from Claire.

"I'll be right back," I tell them as I walk over to the counter.

"Hey Jim!" I shout. A man walks in from the back room and greets me with a smile.

"Hey Payne what are you doin' here?" He walks around the counter and pulls me into a hug.

"It's my friends birthday today." I mention and he pulls away.

"Oh well did you need something?" Jim asks.

"Well I was wondering if you can close down a couple hours early for us to have the rink to ourselves."

"Of course! Anything for my best friends boy." He says as he pats my shoulder before heading back into the room.

My dad was really good friends with him, that's how I pretty much know him. I've been here a couple of times before, most of it with the guys. But Zayn would never step foot on the ice, no matter what, I guess that will change tonight.

Heading back to the tables, Claire is still trying to get Zayn up.

"C'mon babe, you have to at least try," she tries to pull him up but it's no use.

"No," he pouts like a five year old. "I'm not gonn- Liam put me down!" He starts shouting when I pick him up and walk over to the entrance of the rink.

"You ready babe?" Claire asks as I put Zayn down and he huffs.

"Lets just get this over with," me mumbles as he carefully steps onto the ice. We step on as well and start skating.

Zayn's POV

"Just dig into the ice and push off." Claire instructs as I do what she says. As I try to push off on my left leg, I start to stumble and grab onto the railing for support.

"No I can't do this," I shake my head and start to make my way out.

"You can use the training bar if you want," she suggests. No way, I'm not using a 'training bar' to skate.

"No, I just can't do this."

"Please?" I hear her beg behind me.

"Maybe next time okay?" I do my best to turn around to face her. Her face is sad but she still puts on a smile.

"Okay, I'll see you." I want to skate with her-I really do-but I'm so damn bad at it. After sitting down near the rink, I watch her skate up to the boys.

She's laughing as Louis loses balance, falling down on his ass, making me laugh. Liam helps him up and they begin skating again.

I begin to notice a lot of guys from our school in the rink, eyeing Claire as she does a full turn. I can feel my blood boil as I watch them. One of the guys from the group skates up to her and they begin talking.

Claire's POV

This birthday has to be one of the best ones yet. It's sad that my parents weren't here to celebrate it though, but I understand that they have to work.

"Hey," I hear a voice say behind me. I turn around to see a guy wearing a heavy coat, jeans, and mittens. He's a blonde with blue eyes.

Turning back around I see the boys staring at me. "You guys have fun." They give a hesitant look before heading off.

"Um hi," I greet back. Who's this guy? "Do I know you?"

"Well I know you," he smirks. "Let's skate." I nod slightly as we start to move.

"I've seen you around school," he says. I look at him weirdly and laugh.

"Am I supposed to be afraid of that statement?" He laughs with me as I take a glance at Zayn, he's looking at us with a hard face, hands clenched.

"You shouldn't be," he snaps me out of my thoughts.

After a few rounds around the rink I look back where Zayn was and he's not there. Where did he go?

"My legs are killing me. You want to sit down for a bit?" The guys nods and I realize I don't know his name.

"I never really got your name," I say as we sit at a table. He laughs as he takes his mittens off.

"I'm Jett." He sticks a hand out and I shake it, his hands are freezing.

"Claire," I say back. I look at the rink and I notice that Zayn stepped onto the ice, he's skating. His legs are wobbling as he moves and he has pure terror written on his face. The boys are helping him as he tries to keep upright.

"Did you hear me?" I look back at Jett.

"I'm sorry what?" I've gotten to caught up looking at Zayn.

"I said I know about Malik being your boyfriend."

"Okay?" I don't really know why he pointed that out.

"But," he places a hand on my thigh, "that's not gonna stop me from doing this." And that's when he kisses me, his lips forcefully press against mine as he moans. I immediately pull away from him and slap his cheek, a hard 'smack' sounds as I stand up.

"That was uncalled for," he says as I step onto the ice, making my way to Zayn. I don't turn back when I hear Jett call my name, just add him to the list of guys that try to have a relationship with me.

I try to forget what happened a couple seconds ago and focus on him.

"You're skating babe," I start to skate alongside of him as he starts to get the hang of it.

"Yeah," he says like he's shocked at himself, "I am."

"Do you mind giving us some space for a while?" He asks the boys and they nod, skating away.

"What's wrong?" I ask, afraid of what he's going to say.

"I saw you talking to Jett." I can feel my heart thump. "You kissed him." He angrily says.

"Zayn that's not true, he kissed me," I tell him but he doesn't listen. I follow him into the lounge area and he pulls me into the bathroom, shutting the door.

"I saw you kiss him, you were talking to him earlier." He says, his back facing me. "You're going to cheat on me?"

"Zayn," I tug on his arm and he finally faces me. Tears were brimming his eyes but I can't tell if they're from anger or from sadness.

"You're going to cheat on me. You're cheating on me." He's looking down on the floor.

"I'm never going to cheat on you. Why would you ever think I would cheat on you?" I regret asking that last question.