• a p o l o g i e s •

"I-I'm sorry..." She muttered in response, her voice barely audible.

"No, you aren't. You're selfish, and that'll never change."

"Please...I'm sorry!"

"Step on that small flower there." I pointed to a small, newly sprouted daisy that sat in the garden beside us.

"What? No! Why?"

"Just do it."

She hesitated, before she gently stepped on the little daisy causing it to wilt and crumble beneath her shoe. After a moment, she lifted her shoe and briefly examined the damage she had done to the flower.

"Why did you make me do that?!"

"Oh, good to see you care more about a flower than you do for me. Now, apologise to it."

"This is ridiculous Alex!"

"Bethany."

"Fine." She crouched down and stroked a petal that was only just still attached to what was left of the fragile daisy. "I'm sorry."

"Did anything change?"

"What?"

"The flower. Is it all better again? Is it back to the way it was before, until you stood on it?"

"No."

"So, now do you understand?"

"No, Alex, no I don't." She huffed in frustration.

I sighed and gave an equally frustrated groan. "Apologies don't always fix everything. You can apologise as many times as you want, but once something is broken, it'll never be the same again, before it was shattered."