• a book excerpt III •

I sat up slowly, as a tear slid cautiously down my check as if it too was trying not to wake him; though my nose began to run, which caused me to sniffle loudly and wake him.

He yawned as he reached over and turned on the lamp on his bedside table, before he then rolled over onto his side; propped his head up on the palm of his hand and reached over to rest his other one on my thigh.

"Everything okay?" He asked, his sleepy voice lined with concern.

All I could do was nod as a couple more tears decided to fall. He lent forward with the intention of catching my gaze, but instead caught the gaze of the stream of hopeless emotions which fell profusely onto the white, linen sheet that was messily draped over us. Worry grazed across his facial features and before I knew it, I was up against his bare chest and suddenly sent into a slight, soothing rocking motion. His chin rested on top of my head while his arms were locked tightly around me, with one hand on my back, and the other brushing through my hair while it cradled my head on his chest.

"I'm sorry I woke you."  My voice wobbled, barely audible.

He hugged me tighter. "It's okay. Please, don't apologise."

We sat tiredly in a comfortable silence for a few minutes before I dubiously snapped the quiet strings.

"Please don't leave..." My voice now a broken whisper. This time I had looked at him as I spoke, and saw the empathetic pain reflect amongst his aquamarine eyes.
"I can't bare the thought of losing you too."