{t w e n t y t h r e e}

Cameron

I hold onto her, hugging her as she cries into her hands. I didn't say anything, I knew the talk with Sal's parents and Sofia's mom didn't go well.

I didn't know which talk went badly, but I knew that it hurt her.

The thing with Addy is that when something hits her hard enough to make her cry, it's an important subject. Talking to either parent must've affected her somehow.

She couldn't even say anything. I don't know how she got here, I don't know who knows she's here. She's five hours away from where she now lives.

Her crying slows down, and I move her to sit next to me. I get up, leaving the room to her a cloth and some tissues.

When I get back, she's staring at the floor, a blank look on her face.

"Here," I say, handing her the tissues and cloth. She doesn't look up when she takes them, but I notice her hand trembling when she grabs them. "Talk to me. Please."

She holds up a finger and walks to my bathroom. She washes her face, drying it and coming back next to me. "I don't know how she could be like that."

"Who?" I ask, softly looking at her.

"Reckless behavior. Lost her innocence. Was a good kid." She speaks out, and I was shocked. She was talking about Sofia's mother, not Sal's parents. "She could've called her own daughter something Tiffany used to call me. I would've burst into flames then, but I couldn't. I know it's hard to understand, but when mistakes like that happen you have to face them front on."

"Why did you come here?" I ask, curiously.

"Why wouldn't I?" She says, still looking at the floor. "I couldn't even talk to my grandma. But yet, you were the first person on my mind."

My heart skips a beat, and I silently gulp. I was her first thought?

"I'm going to tell Sofia and Sal soon, but for now..." She trails off, sighing. "I just needed to see you." She says, looking up at me. My face turns red when I see a small bruise on her neck. I did that, and I wasn't really myself that day.

My back was still healing from the tattoo, and she didn't care about what it was. She hadn't asked since then.

I stayed silent, not knowing what to say. I finally found some words, only for them to be my escape. "Be right back."

I bolt out of the room, running downstairs and out to my backyard. "Mom!" I exclaim, and she jumps accidentally spraying the fence with water.

"What's wrong?" She asks, she didn't know Addy was here.

"Addy's here, I'll tell you why later. Anyways, she needed to talk to someone and I was the first person on her mind, what does that mean?" I ask, quickly spitting the words out.

"Honey, did you forget she's in love with you?" She giggles at my face. "She thought of you because she trusts you the most, she loves you the most, and you're always there for her. She needed you so much that she came here to you."

"M-mom.." I stutter out, and she looks at me, her eyebrows furrowed. "I just decided it, this second. Honestly."

I say, thoughts rushing through my head. I leaned down, quickly giving her a kiss on the cheek. "Thanks, mom!"

I start to run inside, faintly hearing her speak. "What did I do? That crazy boy."

I jogged back upstairs, into my bedroom. I didn't see Addy sitting on my bed, but I did hear her. I spun around, seeing her looking at all the pictures of us on my dresser. I had six photos, each one from each year we knew each other.