SEVEN

Song of the Chapter: Like This - Shawn Mendes

"And I'm trying to ignore you / Try to go on with my day."

= =

The rooftop was my favorite part of the house. Having access to it by a door that led to the fire escape, it was easy to go up. It where we had parties or late night drinks or sometimes eat our dinner. Sometimes we would come up here when we couldn't sleep and then by talking with one another, we would fall asleep.

But more importantly, it was where I could come and escape my thoughts. On this roof, there was no way that Shawn would be in my head. It was just me and my clear and calm mind.

Except tonight, Shawn wasn't in my head. He was sitting down on the brown wicker chair adjacent the couch I sat on. He looked at me and I tried to ignore him.

"How's your mom doing?" Shawn asks me. "Is she still teaching?"

"My mom is doing just fine! And yes, she's still teaching. She did a summer teaching course in Spain." I reply.

"Spain? That's good. Your mother looks like she belongs in Spain. In the way that she would enjoy the art, and the music, and the people." He replies.

"I understood what you meant." I say.

"So this Modern Man?" He asks. Shawn sits up and leans, resting his elbows at his knees. "What're we thinking?"

"Well, Simone has me looking at some of your photo shoots from the past. She wants me to take some inspiration. The theme is Modern Man, but with the way you pose, you give me a confusing hint."

"What do you mean?"
"Alright come here."

I move over on the couch and cross my legs like a pretzel while Shawn takes a seat next to me. The screen is moved slightly towards him so he can see.

"Like, okay, there!" I point with the eraser of my pencil. "You have this look where you could pass for someone right out of the nineties. But then in this photoshoot, you look like the perfect Don Draper."

"So what are you thinking then?" Shawn asks me.

I gnaw on my bottom lip and look through the photos that Simone has sent me. Most were in black and white, some with red lighting, and others had a more brighter light. Funny how just a few days ago I couldn't stand looking at picture of him. And now, here I am, forced to look at them while he sits next to me.

"Modern Man." I sigh. "But I'm so stuck on this."

"Do you want some help?" He asks.
"No, please. You don't have to do anything besides sit there, answer questions, and look pretty."

"Jasmine, this isn't easy. You have to interview your ex and you have a big task. I'd hate if you didn't let me have some, if not, most, of the stress."

I turn to look at him and his face is close to mine. His eyes burn into mine and I look away and back at the screen. I shake my head and scratch at my arm. "No. You don't deserve this stress."

"Please, give me all the stress." He chuckles.
"Sorry. I refuse." I shrug.

Shawn leans back into the seat and places his hands at his lower thigh and begins to rub his hands over the fabric of his black jeans. He chuckled in his throat as he shook his head lightly. "I forgot that about you."