FORTY THREE

Song of the Chapter: Sara - Fleetwood Mac

"Drownin' / In the sea of love / Where everyone would love to drown..."

- j -

After Shawn and Jack finished the dishes, we all were in the living room enjoying the sound of the fireplace on a low heat and listening to stories being told. Shawn and I took up our own couch; my legs were extended out on the coffee table while he had his head on my lap and I ran my fingers through his hair several times.

"How did you two get back together?" Liam asks Shawn and I.

"He managed to find me in the one spot that he didn't really look in." I say.

"Technically she was hidden from me." Shawn says. "I was told she had left Chicago, so forgive me."

"He figured out where I was and he was slowly easing his way back into my life. Not gonna lie, and he knows this, but I legit hated it! I kept thinking, Ugh why can't he leave me alone?"

"And now look at you. All over me and not wanting to stay away from my side." Shawn says. I gently yank at his hair and he laughs.

"How's your training coming along?" Daniel asks him.

"Wait, Jasmine - have you ever seen Shawn fight?" Liam asks me.

"No." I shake my head. "Well, only once. But that was right when we were in the talking stage. Other than that, he refused to let me see him fight."

"I don't like letting you see me fight." Shawn says. "That one time was enough."

He's hinting at the time where he nearly beat that guy into a coma in the alley on Diana's birthday. I place my hand in his and give his palm a gentle squeeze to let him know things are okay.

"Let her see you fight." Manny says. "Let her see what the big whoop is around you."

I let out a laugh and watch as Shawn gives his dad a side eye. Up until everyone decided it was time to go to bed, we continued to listen to more stories and listened to Jack try and make up excuses for why he lost twice to me.

"I'd ask for a rematch, but I wouldn't want you to hurt yourself with your nails." Jack said to me.

"I could play with my feet and still kick your ass. Volleyball is my game." I replied.

Finally at around eleven, Shawn and I were in his bed. I have my headphones in as I listen to Over and Over by Fleetwood Mac and gently tap my finger along the side of my phone to the beat as I scroll through my emails.

"Hey." Shawn says as he removes the right headphone from my ear and brings it over my body and places it into his right ear. "Who sings this?"

"Fleetwood Mac." I say. "Like it?"

"So far, yeah." He nods his head. I take his hand in mine and kiss it. "Question: where do you see yourself in a few years?"

"Define a few." I reply.

"Two years."

I gnaw on my lip. "Maybe writing still. I want to get back into art, though. I haven't created something in a while."