FORTY NINE

Song of the Chapter: The Night Me and Your Mama Met - Childish Gambino

- j -

The cab drives off and I walk into the restaurant for the meeting with Eric and the two workers from Aliferous Magazine. I spot Eric as he stands up and his eyes go wide as I walk towards him.

"I see you've made the chop." Eric says as he pushes my now short hair behind my shoulders.

"Oh my God, what if I fuck up?" Paige asks me as she laughs.

"Just do it. Come on." I reply as I pour myself a glass of more wine.

My hair no longer reached my lower back but now reached just a little bit past my collarbones. A drunken mistake that I am learning to deal with.

"Jasmine, you remember Molly Pepper and Manolo García." Eric tells me.

"Yes, Aliferous Australia and Spain." I say as I shake their hands.

"Lovely to see you again, Jasmine." Molly says as we shake hands.

"Thank you for joining us." Manolo says as he and I shake hands.

"It's absolutely no problem." I say as I sit down. "I'm sorry if I look tired, I caught a late flight from Canada."

"No worries." Molly says. "I love that you're driven towards work."

"We need someone like that at Spain." Manolo says. "You've done columns already, yes?"

"Correct. I have two." I say.

"And I believe you're working on a new one, aren't you?" Eric asks me.

"Really? I'd love to see a sneak peek." Manolo says.

"I haven't, unfortunately." I sigh. "And I know that's not what you want to hear. You want to hear how driven I am towards work and my goals, which I am. But as a writer, you get hit with a writers block out of nowhere. I would love to tell you that I have an idea but the truth is that I don't. I write columns about advice, but I believe it should be more than just giving advice. It should be think pieces on understanding women and men and sex and love and power and confidence, you know? Not just, Dear Cosmo, how do I...you know? Sometimes we just don't know what to say."

"Well with what we have in mind for you, I don't think that would be a problem." Molly says.

"Jasmine, how do you feel about moving to Spain?" Manolo asks me. He slides over a small, folded piece of paper and I look at Eric, who raises a brow as he smirks, and I open it.

"This phone number is missing the area code." I say.

"Jasmine, that's your starting salary." Eric says.

"Holy shit, that's my salary?" I ask. "I'm sorry, pardon my language, but that's my starting salary?"

"That's your starting salary." Molly confirms.

"Next week we would like for you to come to Spain to see the office and look at places to live." Manolo says.

"Oh my God, absolutely." I squeal.