THIRTY

Song of the Chapter: Chasing Pavements - Adele

"Should I give up, or should I just keep chasing pavements? Even if it leads nowhere?..."

- j-

Nerves shake me to the core as I walk up to the office of my friend who threw me under the bus. I shake my hands as I whisper words of encouragement to myself right outside the door. "Okay, it's okay, you can do this." I stop shaking my hands and knock into the door.

"Come on!" Jack says from the other side.

I open the door slowly and then walk inside. Jack's back is to me as he is leaning over his desk and studying blue prints. I clear my throat and Jack stands up and turns around. He looks like he's seen a ghost and nervously smiles. The smile turns into a genuine smile as I close the door behind me.

"Jasmine." Jack breaks the silence. "Hey."

"Hi." I say to him.

Setting aside his pride, Jack walks over to me and embraces me in a tight hug that I return. He holds me tighter than the night of the abortion and he rubs his hand up and down my back. For a moment, we just stand there hugging. "I didn't mean to harm you."

"It's okay." I tell him. "You're fine."

We pull apart from the hug and I take a seat on the couch in his office and look out the view. "What brings you by?"

"I'm gonna need your help." I say as I turn to look at him.

"With what?"

"Moving out."

"You're really going through with that, huh?"

I nod my head. "I am. I'm gonna need some help with moving some furniture and I was wondering if you would help me out?"

"Absolutely. Are you kidding me?" Jack replies. "I got you. But you know I'm probably not gonna be able to lift it all by myself. I'm gonna need his help."

"I figured." I say.

We're both quiet and I just know that he knows about yesterday with Shawn and I. But who will be the first to bring it up?

"So, where do you wanna get your furniture from?" Jack asks me.

"I've found some stuff already at vintage shops, but I was thinking Ikea for my bed, couch, and other things."

"Jasmine, you don't have to buy yourself another bed. Paige is more than willing to give you your bed. In fact, she misses you."

"Don't try to make amends with me for her. She's a big girl." I tell him.

"She's just scared, Jazz."

"Huh, well she definitely wasn't scared to call me a killer or yell at me."

"She's got a lot on her plate right now."

"You don't need to be making excuses for her. It's fine."

"Fine, I'm sorry, forget that I even said anything." He switches the subject. "When do you wanna get your furniture?"

"I'm free Thursday," I tell him.

"Thursday? That works. Did you wanna go in the morning?"

"Yeah."

"Alright." Jack says. "Are you on lunch or...?"

"Mm hm. I'm on lunch." I nod.

"Do you wanna get a bite to eat?"

"I have errands to run, I'm sorry." I tell him.