Awake

Inside Kevin's head 

Dennis was pacing up and down, still angry about the news he had received this evening, how could he have been so stupid and put his trust in someone like that, he was pure and therefore couldn't be trusted, every time he put his trust in someone he always ended up getting hurt or used and he had had enough.

He felt a hand on his shoulder and turned to face Patricia who was smiling sweetly at him

"What do you want Patricia?" he asked, Patricia raised her hand and slapped his cheek

"Don't be rude Dennis, I'm just here to tell you how proud we are of you for swearing your allegiance to The Beast once again, despite all your previous...mistakes you have proven yourself loyal to us and our cause and for that we are truly grateful"

"It seemed like I didn't have much choice, you were right about him the whole time and I ignored your judgement and look what it brought us...more pain" Dennis muttered

"And now you've learnt your lesson haven't you, we've been very patient with you Dennis so I do hope this will be the end of all your shenanigans after all The Beast's patience with you has been wearing a little bit thin for a while now and I'd hate for you to put to sleep more permanently this time" Patricia replied.

"Was that a threat?" Dennis asked eyes narrowed 

"Not at all, just take into consideration that The Beast will not tolerate anymore rebellious acts on your part and neither will I" she warned in a soft voice filed with malice.

Their conversation was put on hold when everyone heard a powerful shout from outside

"Dennis!" Emma's voice called 

"She's a persistent one isn't she?" Patricia stated in annoyance as Dennis said nothing except marvel at Emma's courage or stupidity, why did she have to put herself in danger all the time for him, he wasn't worth it and he just couldn't fathom why Emma would risk her life for his.

"So the infamous detective has come to die as well" The Beast growled 

"Oh no I don't plan on dying tonight...you on the other hand" Emma replied confidently, The Beast's rage could be felt everywhere and it made Dennis want to curl up in a ball and hide, Patricia however just stood tall and proud as a look of distaste graced her face before she turned to Dennis.

"You will bear witness to this, I hope her death serves as a reminder of what meddling in our plans will cost you" she mumbled coldly.

"Patricia she's pure why are you doing this?" Dennis asked

"She may be pure but we have had enough of her interfering with our plans"

"Please don't kill her...let me talk to her I..I'll convince her to leave, to never bother us again I swear" he begged, he couldn't let Emma die, Casey would never forgive him if she lost the only friend either of them had had.

Patricia just chuckled before answering "I'm sorry Dennis but the time for democracy has passed, she must die for our plan to succeed" she said calmly before walking away.

Dennis collapsed on the floor tears falling down his face, he couldn't let this happen not to Emma.

"Wow that convo sounded intense" Barry's voice sounded as he leaned forward in his chair 

"Yeah you do know some of us are trying to sleep over here" Jade's fiery voice echoed 

"Or read" Orwell's quiet moan agreed as a book snapped closed.

Dennis wiped his tears away quickly, trying not to give the others any ammunition to tease him before facing them.

"Wait Dennis were you crying?" Jade smirked

"I dunno what your talking about" he replied 

"Aww the big guy's got a heart after all" Barry chuckled as he stood up from his chair "Dennis what's going on we were all trying to hold back The Beast and then you voluntarily gave him the light why?" Barry asked concerned.

"The man David Dunn was with our father when he died, he died and David did nothing" Dennis growled his  fists clenched again.

"Hey take it easy big guy relax, look I kinda understand why you gave him the light,you and mum never got along and what we saw of our father...I know you got on well with him, but revenge isn't a good thing Dennis, it feels good now but it will eat you up inside and make you feel like shit...I don't want that for you" Barry told him.

"They're gonna kill Emma, we need to stop them" Dennis muttered 

"Well I did as you asked and most of us have decided to help you out, Hedwig has proven to be a bit of a struggle, Pat seems to have him wrapped around her finger annoyingly, I can't get close to the kid without him running away" he explained

"Let me handle Hedwig" Dennis suggested 

"Sure if you think you can talk sense to the kid go for it"

Emma's scream echoed around them 

"You son of a bitch" she screamed before what felt like a headbutt caused Barry and Dennis to fall over as the whole room shook.

"Huh reminds me of schooldays when you took on all those bullies" Barry remembered and Dennis smirked at that.

"Wh what the was that?" a small broken voice responded from the corner of the room, Dennis and Barry froze in shock simultaneously looking in the direction of the voice, seeing a small, hunched over young man walking cautiously over to them.

"Kevin" they both said at the same time as their host made their way towards them giving them a small smile 

"Hey guys, what did I miss?"