New Thoughts

Lance didn't let go the whole ride. In fact, he actually gripped me tighter. Ignoring the pain it was actually a great ride. His body warmth comforted me. I never rode with anyone else. Ever. Even my birth parents never rode with me.

We pulled into Dairy Queen. We both ordered blizzards. Then we found an open booth and sat across from each other.

"So, how long have you been riding?" Lance asked as he took a bite of ice cream.

"Well, they wouldn't let me have it until I was sixteen. I got it the year before last when I got my license." I said. He nodded.

"Who is they?" He asked.

"There's a lawyer that has all of the stuff I inherited from my parents when they died," I explained.

"That must be cool. What else are you getting?" Lance asked.

"Not much. When I'm eighteen I get my parents old farmhouse." I said.

"You're getting a house, that's really cool. Where is it?" Lance asked. I hesitated. I never told anyone where it was. Whenever I wanted to disappear I went there. It was a two and a half hour drive from here. The old townhouse was in ruins after it burnt down the day my parents were murdered. I'd tell you about it but I don't think I'm ready to think about it.

"Out of town. But it's not that exciting. It was burnt down when I was eleven." I said.

"Is that how they died?" Lance asked quietly. I looked down at the table.

"S-s-sort of," I said, emotion filling my voice. I bit the inside of my cheek to keep myself from breaking down.

"Keith?" Lance said.

"We...we should probably get going," I said, a little less stable then I wanted.

"Keith," Lance repeated. I didn't look at him. I grabbed my half-eaten blizzard and threw it in the trash. Lance didn't move.

When I came back to the table I still didn't meet his eyes.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said anything." He said quietly.

"It's fine, let's just get going," I said. He nodded and stood up.

The ride home got bad real quick. It started to rain. And I had no jacket.

"Pull over." I heard in my ear. I gave a slight nod and pulled to the side of the road safely. I hadn't had the slightest idea of why he wanted to stop but I didn't care. He got off of my bike and took off the helmet.

"Sick?" I asked. I could tell he didn't like riding on my bike that much. Which kind of bummed me out. I liked riding with him. Wait...forget I said that.

"No." He said. He took off the jacket that he always wore, and handed it to me.

"Here, your freezing, I can feel you shiver." He said.

"No, I'm fine. We're almost home." I said.

"We're only halfway. And I'm not taking no for answers. So either you can put the jacket on or I will force it on you." He said stubbornly.

"You're so annoying," I said taking the jacket. He smiled, which totally didn't distract me from what he was saying.

"Keith?" Lance said shaking me from my trance.

"Huh?" I said stupidly. He laughed.

"Just get on the motorcycle dummy." He said. I glared at him. He smirked. I rolled my eyes and got on my bike. He sat behind me and put his arms around me. I bit my lip, ignoring the pain in my stomach. And we drove.