A Night Alone

Lance seemed excited. Which wasn't out of the ordinary when we hung out, but he seemed different this time.

"Lance. Are we almost there?" I asked.

"I can't tell you it's a surprise. I promise you'll love it." He said.

He smiled at me before looking back at the road. We had only been in the car for about 5 minutes but he hadn't said anything to me about a surprise date until Louise asked.

He turned off the main road and onto a sketchy dirt road.

After about a mile he pulled over.

"Where are we?" I asked.

"Its a surprise. Now get out and follow me." He said. He grabbed a backpack from the backseat and walked on the path.

It was dark and we were walking through the woods. I grabbed his hand. Not that I was scared or anything. I never get scared.

Maybe I get a little scared sometimes...

Ok, I'll admit I was scared.

It's not every day your boyfriend takes you into a random part of the woods at sunset with a mysterious backpack. And he wouldn't tell me what we were doing. But as much as I hate to admit it I trust him. Believe it or not. He was an idiot but he seemed pretty excited about this.

We walked uphill on a dirt trail for about 7 minutes, sometimes running into large trees that had fallen over, in which case Lance had to help me get over them.

We eventually got to the top of the hill. The sun had fully set. The day had gone by really fast.

Lance had pulled out a blanket and laid it on the grass. He patted the spot next to him for me to sit.

He handed me an item wrapped in tinfoil.

I unwrapped it. It was a Pbnj.

I smiled at him.

"I have to say this is the most romantic picnic I've been on," I said as I took a bite out of my sandwich. He put a bag of sour cream and onion chips between us.
(A/N: the most romantic food in my opinion)

"Oh? How many picnics have you been on?" He asked.

"Well, my mom used to take me out and have picnics. Sometimes we'd go for a hike and have a picnic. Sometimes she would just set up one on our front lawn under the big oak tree." I explained. I smiled as the memories tugged at me. Then frowned realizing I would never have that again.

Lance grabbed my hand and squeezed it reassuringly. I looked at him. I could never be sad if I was with him. He made me happy just by being there.

I smiled again and took another bite of my sandwich.

"So why did you bring me up here? Was just for the food or...?" I asked.

"I wanted to take you to one of my favorite places. I used to go here when I was younger. That house we passed on the drive here was my old house." He said.

"Lance. We passed like twenty houses." I said. He glared at me.

"I meant the last one." He said. I laughed. He smiled.