Hell

Trigger Warning: Mentions of transphobia and unconsensual undressing.

Pidge thanked me for standing up for her. We went to English. Pidge talked to hunk about technology. Lance seemed to be oddly quiet today.

I wasn't the only one who noticed because Pidge asked him, "Hey Lance what's with you?"

"Huh?" He said, "Oh, sorry, just tired. The whole thing about my Abeula and all."

"I'm really sorry man. I knew you were close to her and all." Hunk said. Pidge nodded. Lance nodded absentmindedly and went back to taking notes.

Hunk and Pidge shrugged and went back to their conversation.

I wanted to ask him if he was ok but we needed to get back to work.

After history, we went to gym. I changed in a stall again. There was no way I would change in front of all of those other kids.

"Alright boys, today we're doing some basketball in the gym. The girls are in the weight room today so we have the gym. Jake and Al why don't you be team captains." Mr. Grace said. Greeeaaat. Al was here too.

I always hated it when we were picked by students. I was always last.

"I'll take Jordan," Al said.

"Lance," Jake said.

"Dylan."

"Keith." I jumped in surprise. I saw Lance lean away from Jake as if he just whispered in his ear. Did...did Lance tell him to pick me.

I walked over to them.

"Tyrone," Al said.

"Hunk."

The rest of the team picking was a blur. A bunch of kids I didn't know.
Our team consisted of tall skinnier kids, with an exception of Hunk, while their team was mostly bigger kids. We would have an advantage. They may have had strength but we would be quicker than them.

I loved basketball. It was the only sport, aside from volleyball, that I was decent at. But I doubted they would put me in.

"Ok, how about we have Lance, me, Lenny, Connor, and Keith start," Jake said.

"You want me to play?" I asked.

"Yeah." Jake said, "You look like you'd be good."

We walked out onto the court. I heard Jake say,

"He better be as good as you say."

"Trust me. He is." Lance said. We all got in positions. I shot Lance a sideways glance. He believed in me. For once, I was looking forward to proving him right.

Jake got the ball first. He was going to pass it to lance but Al was covering him.

"Jake!" I said. He hesitated, then passed it to me. Nobody was covering me. I went straight for the basket and jumped....dunking it. Ok, maybe I was a little better than I let on.

The game continued with mainly me and Lance scoring.

"Wow McClain, you were right. He is good." Jake said patting Lance on the back.

"Let's just keep playing. I don't want to jinx it." Lenny said.

I noticed Al and Jordan watching me as I played. Now, one of them was always covering me. Connor had the ball, he was going to pass it to me but I wasn't open. I ran past Al but before I could I tripped on Al's foot. He tripped me. I landed on my ankle.

Mr. Grace blew his whistle and walked over to me.

"Oops," Al said smirking at me.

"I can't walk on it very well," I said as I stood.