Chapter 8

"Love doesn't fade after break up, trust me."
- Damien J.

THE DAY YOU SAID GOODBYE
(CHAPTER 8)

"Zach." It was almost a whisper.

My tears cascaded down my cheek. My great longings for Zach was touched. I jumped off the hospital bed and took my slippers with me. I ran towards the direction of the door, hoping that I could see him but the press came to capture such moment.

I swerved them off as I took the lift. I ran outside to see him but I failed. I had my knees down on the ground and my sobs are too much to bare. My saliva has been choking me everytime I dare to breathe.

A hand pulled me from where I lay but I couldn't look that person. Me being out of my poise is not good for what name I carry here.

"You are so stubborn, Tash."

When he spoke, I froze. That coldness in his voice, that dead tone he uses, that nickname he used to call me. At the time he spoke, I knew it was him. I broke into tears as I held him tight. My sobs are as loud as the thunders which happen to call the presence of the rain.

"Forgive me, Zach," I said as I wipe both tears and raindrops off my face.

He did not speak. Zach held my hand and took me back. We are dripping wet and freezing cold but I don't care at all. When we arrived in my room, the nurse came to help me get change. After such while, I saw him sitting on the couch.

"You have always been this stubborn, Tash," he said without showing any emotion.

"I missed you," I said but he didn't appear interest.

"How could I believe that?" he asked in disbelief. "You pushed me away."

"I didn't!" I shut him.

"Yeah? You are so damn good at your lies! I shouldn't have visited so I could hear no word from you."

"It was you who left me!" I blamed him as tears began to build in.

"For this once, can you not flip the story?" When he said that, I was shut. I could not gasp for any word to say.

"Sometimes you can't have those things you threw away, so should have valued them before they're completely gone," he said.

"I was confused that time, Zach. I couldn't think right because I thought you would happy without me. But I was wrong--"

"Hell, yeah! You are definitely wrong. You are just like everyone. People can't be happy being left alone. Do you know what happened to me? Do you know what I have to give up just to compose myself? Why?" he asked. His glances were dense and blue.

I heaved a breath before speaking. "I don't know either."

I really don't know. That time, I was so devastated. I am up to proving that he still love me but I went too far. I know at some point, it was my fault. But I can't take the blame solely because he get me used into having him by my side every time I push him away but that day, he just said goodbye without even trying to take me back. Am I to be blamed for those things I have done?

"I though you wanted that? Why are you suddenly here explaining yourself?" he asked again.

I didn't answer because I know he won't listen even if I tell him. I lean on the hospital bed. My knees were trembling and my breath was heavy.

"Tell me, Annastasia," his voice cracked and it made me cry even more. "Did you love me because you felt it or you just reciprocated the feeling?"

I did not answer.

The question made me think. How could I know? Should I say maybe? Or should I speak because I have to say something again? No, I think, it doesn't matter anyway.

I was on that point of life where I can't even breathe. Everything went black but I know I'm conscious. The surrounding was dark and blue. I am a proud lady filled with confidence and I never hesitated about anything ever since. Only in front of him, I could be hesitant and unsure of things.

He left... once again. Just like before, I couldn't stop him as he say goodbye.

TWO WEEKS HAVE PASSED and I'm still working for Maximus as his secretary. After what happened, he become gentle. Though we merely talk, he seems to care more than ever.

Work is never that easy. There are different kind of personalities. Colleagues are not easy to get along with. They are distant from me but that's alright. After all, I can't conceal the fact that I'm still the next ruler of this empire.

By the way, the employees that I fought to, they came back. I told Maximus the truth and I took responsibility of what happened. Actually, every time we meet at the pantry, we smile at each other. We pay respect to each other. Maybe, that's what Max wanted me to know first — the value of respect.

I am in the conference room with Maximus since the board had an urgent meeting. He took me here so I could take some notes and to study the environment that I will have to conquer when I get back to the position.

"The problem is, the idea of having a nationwide celebration is too risky," Director Schwartz stated.

"Let's tell the media that we are cancelling it," suggested by Mr. Zirco.

"I agree, Mr. Zirco. There are so much happenings these past few months and we cannot take the risk anymore," said Mrs. Guccino as she took side.

Everyone seems to bother. I have an idea but I don't think I should say it. I am not a part of this meeting anyway. But I'm part of the company. Should I speak? Does it count?

"Excuse me," I said after clearing my throat. "I have something to say, please allow me."

They look at me. Maximus eyed me as if he's telling that I shouldn't have done what I did. I stayed silent as everyone didn't say anything.

"Say it," mom said, I smiled. 

"If we can't hold a party where everyone are guests, I think we should provide tickets for a certain amount of penny like how concerts were organized," I suggested.

"Anna, we don't need money here-"

I stopped Max from negating my suggestion. "The money will be used for food and souvenirs that they could get if they purchase a ticket. That point, they will not hesitate from buying. It's like a win-win situation for them."

"What about the security? We don't want anyone to die... again," Director Schwartz said.

"Regarding that, we must use the empire as venue. To secure everyone's safety, we must tighten the -"

Maximus cut me off. "The security when we were trespassed by armed men was tight but still, we were gunned."

"I think, it was because the empire needs improvement," I said and everyone seems to disagree as clamors filled the room.

"What are you trying to imply?" Maximus asked.

"I am saying, we need machines or equipments that are highly advance to prevent armed people from coming. If we put an alarm system for metals in the main gate, magnetic rods on the hallway and if we use earpieces rather than walkie-talkie, we could prevent that danger."

"That will sure cost a lot of money," commented by Mrs. Guccino.

"And I think we should not reconsider that," said by Director Schwartz. "We value this empire, so we didn't change anything as your father wished when he was alive and we won't let a newbie like you to disgrace that."

"I agree. I think, we must have our suggestions on a concrete plan before having a meeting again next time. For now, this meeting is adjourned," ordered by my mom.

I knew it. My words won't count. Everyone left the room and only I was left inside. I looked at the frames that were hanged inside the room. They are some photos of my late father.

I headed near the frames. I missed him, so much. I touched the glass of the frame and I noticed something. There is a text behind the picture but before I could decipher it, someone came in.