Chapter 22

"One day, when you get to know the truth, you will regret upon knowing it. There are certain things that are better when they were kept as secrets."
-Belinda

THE DAY YOU SAID GOODBYE
(CHAPTER 22)

I am still confused. I asked Belinda to tell me what exactly is happening and even if she already told me for the nth time, I still don't understand.

They are both looking at me as I walk back and forth the living room. My finger ache as I didn't notice that I bit it hard. I am dying to meet my father's right hand but now that he's beside me, living in the same roof, I can't even ask anything.

"Miss, calm yourself."

I look at her, thinking of something to say. "Can you tell me about my father?"

"Your mom would definitely get mad," she sighed. "Your father is kind, born with right mindset and raised by civilized family. He would always say that your kindness will make people remember you. Heiltonn family is not so big. The late Gough Heiltonn, your grandfather, have two sons and one daughter. He raised them with kind hearts and down to earth characters."

Dantes butt in. "He succeeded in making great shapers: David entered politics to help people who are in need; Vaness used her platform in business to connect people and such industries: and Manolo, your father, build an empire to assess the needs of people for protection."

"Heiltonn Empire.." I whispered.

"Right!" said Belinda. "Your father is the first born son so he went on top first before his siblings. He's the reason why Vaness and David hold the branch of empire itself."

"Wait, how could you know?"

"Because I raised your father. I know almost everything aside from the things he told Dantes," she replied.

For a moment, I was stunned. "But... Zacharius' grandmother claimed that she raised dad. She said, she is my dad's babysitter and-"

"She lied. Until now, that woman still play safe? How can you believe a Voyage Empire founder to be a nanny?" she asked.

"What are you saying? Maybe you're mistaken, Belinda. She's old and they used to live in the forest. And what empire are you saying? They just run a company, not an empire," I said, still puzzled about what the hell is she saying.

A sound from my lock stopped us from talking. It was a key card, I must know. When the door opened, we are all surprised. It was my mom and the same reaction we have also projected in her face.

"Madamme," the general servant bowed.

"What are you doing here?" she asked, suddenly her gazes focused on the man sitting beside me. "D-dantes?"

"It has been a long time... Cali," he uttered, giving my mom a smile. They seem to know each other.

"Mom, I can explain. Hear me out first," I started. "I started to wonder about dad and his death. Then, I saw his pictures in the empire with words engraved in it before Zach and I runaway. When I met her grandmother, she told me things about dad and her son. She said they were bestfriends but he died on the exact day that my father was murdered. Then she told me that there's only one person who knows dad's secrets and it was him, Dantes. Everything she told me turned to be lies. I wanted to know everything, mom. I know something's wrong about how he died."

"I know," she simply said.

My brows arced in confusion. "You knew what?"

"There's something that's wrong about his death. We have a theory that Manuel killed Manolo, your father."