24; Awkward Dinner

Carter

"About time, food is getting cold!" my mom exaggerates as Vienna and I walk into the kitchen along with Mary.

I hold back the urge to roll my eyes as my eyes land on Nathan sitting at the dinner table, along with Liam. Liam smirks as Nathan raises an eyebrow at me. I narrow my eyes at them and walk towards Vienna. "Do you think they heard all that?" I whisper to her. 

"Most likely, since they have super hearing. You know..." Vienna trails off as she moves her gaze to Nathan. "Since they are dogs."

I hear Nathan scoff as Mary helps my mom bring food to the dinner table. "Carter, can you get the silverware?" 

I nod and make my way towards the drawers by the kitchen sink. I grab enough for everyone, then walk back to the dinner table. As I set them down, Mary speaks up, "Do you have any plastic silverware?" 

Vienna and I glance at each other skeptical. 

"Umm, I think I might..Vienna go look, would you?" My mom asks. 

Vienna nods and walks over to cabinets and looks for them. Vienna closes them then turns to my mom. "Sorry, we are out." 

"If I may ask, why can't you use silverware?" I question, acting dumbfolded. 

My mom gives me a sharp look but too gave Mary a confused look. 

"Well..." Mary trails off and glances towards her two kids. Nathan smiled politely, "We just dislike them, we never really used them."

Mary turns back to my mom and nods. "Alright, I'll double check." My mom smiles at Mary and her kids as she makes her way over to Vienna who was standing by the cabinets she had just looked into. 

Vienna gives me a sharp look and I look at her confused. 

My mom chuckled a little and turned around, shutting the cabinet she had just looked into. She glanced at Vienna, "They were right in front of your eyes V, check better next time." My mom chuckled again and passed out the plastic silverware to Mary, Liam, and Nathan. 

"Thank you, we appreciate it." Nathan tells my mom generously. My mom smiles at him in return and walks towards the fridge. Nathan then glared at Vienna. My mom then looks at us, "Help with the drinks girls." 

"What would you three like to drink?" My mom asks.

Can't they get up and get their own drinks???

I decide to not make a scene and not ask my mom about it. 

"Water is fine for all of us." Mary replies. 

Vienna snorts and my mom gives her a sharp look, I bite my lip to hold back the giggle that wanted to come out due to Vienna. My mom passes me the drinks which I sadly took and made my way towards the dinner table to see Nathan and Liam who looked dazed out. I choose to ignore that and set the bottles of water in front of the three wolves. 

"Thank you." Liam smiles at me, now out of the trance he was in moments before. I return the gesture since he has not done anything to me. 

Vienna walks over to me and sits in the seat across from Liam, I sigh, knowing I had to sit across from Nathan since there was four seats on each side and having a space between Vienna and I would be suspicious. I slowly sit down in front of Nathan as he watches me. I look at him weirdly. Vienna nudges me as I look at her, I realize my mom had sat down and everyone had started getting food besides Nathan and I since we had been staring at eachother just moments before.