41; attached

Carter

"Mom!" I call out as I jog downstairs.

"She is in the backyard." Braxton tells me as I walk into the kitchen.

I nod and make my way out of the sliding doors to the back porch. I notice my mom sitting in the stairs with coffee next to her.

"Mom?" I call out to her and she turns her head to look up at me.

"Hey sweetie," She replies and smiles as I sit next to her. "Did you sleep well?"

I nod, "Yeah, what time is it?"

My mom grabs her phone beside her and looks at the time, "Eleven fifty,"

"Dang, I slept for a long time." I mumble.

"Want to talk about earlier?" She begins as she turns to me.

I shortly nod, "Yeah, I guess. I found out some things also,"

"Go on," my mom insisted.

"The beginning, Justin compelled me to dislike Landon, and to date him again. Which now I know that Justin is a vampire too." I say in one breath.

My mom kept a straight face.

"The second time was Landon's friend, he compelled me to forget that he ran with his vampire speed." I continued due to my moms silence.

"The last time was due to Landon—" I began but my mom cut me off.

"I was waiting for him."

I narrow my eyes at him, "He isn't a bad guy."

"How so?" My mom rose an eyebrow.

"He compelled me to protect me." I grit my teeth.

"Carter Rose Flame—" My mom began but I cut her off, "Listen to me!"

"Yes, I understand he is a vampire. He compelled me due to Nathan, someone who you thought was good, but isn't. Nathan was trying to hurt me but Landon saved me from him. He compelled me so I wouldn't remember it and be scared of Nathan. He didn't compell me to dislike Nathan either." I continued.

"He put you in danger," My mom interjected.

"Yeah, he did." I stand up, "But so did you."

"Excuse me?" My moms tone didn't go unnoticed. "I am trying to protect this family!"

"How is that going for you?" I wondered.

"Mom, you have no allies! You have no clue what we are going up against." I went on.

She shushed me quickly, "Let us talk about this inside. People could be listening."

I roll my eyes, "Let's go then,"

I walk inside as she followed behind me. She shut the slide door and locked it. She shut the dark curtains.

"Downstairs." My mom clipped.

I follow her downstairs to the basement and sit on a couch. She sits on the one across from me.

"I have an allie, Carter." My mom begins, "Her name is Aurora Rotavele, she is a witch. Her son, Blake Rotavele is a hunter, like his dad, Tristian Rotavele."