Chapter 2-New World, New Me

I stared at the chandeliers above in confusion. I was in the throne room, standing next to Momonga when the servers should have gone offline. The game had just shut down. Or, it should have at least.

I pressed my fingers against the air to try and open the menu, but nothing appeared.  The purple mist that my body was made from started to get in my way as I held my hand out.

Did it always do that in the game?

I pondered the thought for a moment. I started to realize I felt....weird. I felt my characters hands like they were actually mine. I also felt the weight of the robe weighing down on my body.

I moved my hand up to my face and waved it so I could see. The mist followed my hand and evaporated as I moved it from left to right. It never did that before.

Just as I was about to turn to Momonga to ask what he thought was happening, he stood up swiftly. His jaw was wide open in awe and his red eyes were distant.

???: Whats wrong, Lord Momonga?

Just then I heard a feminine voice. I froze. Who was that? Could it be Tabula making a joke again? It kind of sounded like her.

I turned to where the voice came from. All that was there was the NPC Albedo. She was looking up at Momonga with worry in her eyes. Momonga was looking down at her to. His red eyes lit up as she spoke.

???: Lord Momonga?

Momonga turned to me and stood there, jaw dropped. I was confused too, but I️ gave him a shrug of "I️ don't know, just roll with it."

She quickly rose and walked up to him. I backed away a little, surprised by her sudden movements. I looked back at her and was just in sheer amazement that she was speaking. How could a NPC talk? They never talked before.

As she moved closer and closer to Momonga, his jaw dropped even more and his eyes grew brighter. Then, a green beam, almost like a lifting light, appeared around him. He looked calmer now. His jaw was no longer dropped. Then, he spoke.

Momonga: The... The GM call isn't working.

His voice was deeper than before. It worried me.

He was trying to call a moderator. That what he meant. Why didn't I think of that sooner?

Albedo spoke again in a worried tone.

Albedo: Please forgive me, but an ignorant one such as myself has no answer to this "GM calls" you speak of. If you allow me to correct this grave mistake, I will be forever grateful!

I had no idea what was happening, and I guessed Momonga didn't either. I finally spoke up after being quiet all this time.

Sonus: Momonga. I believe we must speak about the matters at hand.

Why did I sound like that?!

My voice was calm and deep. It had no emotion in it and sounded like a gentleman.

Momonga: Yes, indeed. We will speak in a moment. Sebas! Step outside and confirm the surrounding of The Great Tomb Of Nazarick. The Pleiades, go to the ninth floor and guard it against intruders.

The butler Sebas and the maids who had been kneeling this whole time stood up and they all nodded to Momonga.

Sebas: It shall be done, your grace.

All of them left the room in silence. I had no idea Momonga could be so... intimidating. He never talked to anyone of the guild like that. It seemed so out of character for him. I wondered what would happen if I spoke. would they show the same respect to me? Or did they consider me a underling to Momonga since I wasn't the guild leader?