Contrast

I didn't feel as though I slept at all and they are already waking us up! I yawned and curled myself tighter in a ball under the sheets made from extra cloaks.
"Flecin, wake up! We've got to go!" I heard Rade nudge me a little.
"Another hour. . . Or two. . ." I moaned in a daze and fell back asleep.

~~~

"You can't blame someone this young to keep going all the time," Xane stated feeling sorry for the young elf.
"Come on, Flecin," I said picking her up and carrying her on my back.
"Let's move slowly for now," I said. Strangely, Flecin feels very light.

We moved on quite far, the snow was still and the wind blew gently rather than harshly. Flecin was still asleep. It was a rather uncomfortable position on my back so my wings have to fold around her.
I heard Syf heave a sigh and slumped down for a bit.
"Syf, are you all right?" I asked. Right when he slumped Flecin felt like she just gained weight.
"Syf. Were you helping me with Flecin?" I asked.
He nodded slowly.
"Thanks Syf. Take a rest, I can take care of it from now on," I assured.
"Don't. . . Hurt yourself. . ." He replied.
"Does he always talk like that?" Xane whispered.
"He has his reasons!" Void spoke up defensively. Realizing that he said it a little loud he didn't say any more.

~~~

"Fang. . . Is that your name?" Xane asked.
"Ah, y-yes!" I replied, I had a thought in my head.
"I heard that you were from Earth. Yet, you do not remember much of it."
"Well, my personal memories, yes."
"I see. . . Sorry for interrupting. What were you doing?"
"I wasn't doing anything."
"No, you weren't. However, it seems you were thinking about something."
"Oh, yes, I was wondering. How are you mobile in that armor of yours?"
"Oh, well. When you live with bandits, I've trained a lot and it feels like a part of me. Another reason would be because the gravity here is actually lighter than Earth's. So, it is very common for sword fighters to be mobile enough to perform incredible acrobatics while fighting."
"I never knew that. . . Also, why did you become a bandit in the first place?"
"I cannot answer. At least not yet. Allow me to first open up to Kika and then I shall share the rest of my story."
"Why Kika?" I thought.
"It's. . . Difficult," Xane struggled. The way he looks as he set his gaze on the crisp snow shown signs that this was a personal matter.
"I understand," I said, "thanks for the talk!"
"Oh no, thank you!"

~~~

We walked a long way and finally, Flecin woke up. I pushed my back forward from the long slouch.
"Sorry, Rade. I was really sleepy," Flecin yawned.
"It's fine. Next time, we won't get up as early," I convinced.
"We made it to the base of the mountain," Guardian spoke from Void's sword.
"There. . . is still. . . snow. . ." Syf stated.
"Seasons change that fast here?!" Fang exclaimed.
"Really, there isn't a lot of lag between changes of seasons," Guardian explained.
"That's amazing," Fang sighed.
"It's getting late already," I said, "we should find a place to rest, fast."
We all continued walking and eventually found a river. We followed and found a place where the trees block out the wind and there was natural cover from the standing evergreen trees. We prepared to rest the night here.

~~~

"Syf? What are you doing?" I asked. He turned around and waved. He was crouching on the bank of the river. He was looking down at something.
"Nothing. . ." he replied. I walked over anyway and he didn't really react. I looked down and didn't see much from the gentle flowing of water. That's when I noticed the texture of the river's bottom.
"You like to eat eel?" I blurted.
Syf seemed a little embarrassed to admit as he nodded.
"Good taste. They would sell for a pretty coin. Here, I'll catch some for tonight's meal," I said.
"R-Really? . . . Th-Thank you. . . !" Syf said almost attaching the words together.

As I was hooking up the hiding eels, familiar walking patterns entered through my ears.
"Stay back!" I warned.
"I-"
"No! Just leave!"
I didn't hear him leave, just stayed where he is. He then started walking, towards me. I then threw the hook at him. He dodged. I pulled my knife out and tackled him to the ground with my hunting knife at the bandit's throat.
"Kika. . ." Xane croaked.
"Don't say my name, filthy scum," I said venomously. "I won't hesitate to!"
"No, you wouldn't-" I pressed the knife harder. "Alright, alright. . . Look, I just wanted to talk."
"I don't want to talk to someone who killed my people. Why talk? For forgiveness? Never."
He grabbed my hand and whirled over putting me under his weight. He threw the knife and stood. I got up and slapped him.
"Kika. . . I understand what you've been through-"
"Oh to Chimera's Cave you don't!" I yelled back, "you don't know what it's like to lose your family, the people you know, the life you could've ha-"
"I DO KNOW!" Xane yelled. We both panted heavily. Xane was bleeding on his neck where I cut him. The blood was mixed with water, tears. I didn't actually realize he was crying. I wasn't, I was filled with anger and hatred.
"Leave!" I said disgusted with him, the conversation, and most importantly, myself.
I turned away and took deep breaths. I heard a sif and looked down to see my knife planted firmly on the ground from Xane's throw.
I won't forgive him. I won't forgive what he did as a member of the group who killed my tribe, my people, my. . . life.