Wolf And Hunters

The wake was horrible. My eyes felt like it was glued shut, my lips tasted blood and everything hurts. I couldn't get up, I'm sure if I did that, my body would snap like a twig. I just laid there staring at the ruin's ceiling.
"You're up!" I heard Rade say as my head rang out in a horrible headache. I wanted to clench my teeth, but even trying to do that hurt. I want to reach for my head, but I can't.
"It's okay if you can't move, please, stay still and heal," Rade said appearing into view.
I wanted to respond in any way, a smile, a word, any single movement. I only blinked and looked at him.
"I'll stay in touch, just rest for the time being," Rade said walking off and I heard him sit down. I didn't have anything else to do, so I closed my eyes and eventually my tiredness took over.

~~~

"Hey, Lan," Kika asked me while she was gathering dry grass.
"What is it?" I asked still staring off into the distance.
"Have you ever had a significant other?"
"Is this because of Xane?" I grinned.
"N-No! Well. . . that's not. . . yes. . ."
"It's pretty obvious."
Kika moped and I sighed, "I suppose I write to someone from time to time."
"I wouldn't have expected that."
"Enough about myself. You two are already quite close, it should come naturally."
"We just argue though," Kika said.
"You sure about that?" She then stayed silent. "Well, even when you argue that's better than not conversing at all."
"That's-"
"I found some edible mushrooms," Xane said bringing back a handful.
"Neat find," I complimented, "I'm going to scout the area." I walked off and waved a hand.

Might as well leave those two alone. I walked around the grassland and the light breeze felt good, going around at night sure feels mystic. I might find some more food on this pointless walk. I kept going with nothing gained yet.
I stopped and heard something. I shifted into a wolf and hid in the long grass. There was a small group of four walking around. They reminded of that other force, Them. I crept in the grass following them.
"They said something happened here. A skirmish of sorts against angels and shadows."
"Right, and they both lost. There must be some significance to this area and or direction."
I should take action before they find out where we are. I crept closer and dragged the farthest one away. His screams were loud so the others were alerted. I silenced my victim by slamming his head against the ground. He dropped a dagger and the dagger looked interesting. A lightning bolt shaped knife and the blade is curved. I think this might work for me. I only kill if needed. I took the dagger and crept around the group again. I grabbed another person by the neck and slammed him to the ground.
"There it is!" They know now. One fired a crossbow and the bolt missed. The other came close with a large shield. I jumped onto the shield then shifted my weight. The other fired another crossbow and hit his ally. I dropped down and moved behind him then kicked him at the back of his head. I got shot at my leg and I fell.
"A wolf shifter. How rare nowadays. A shame to end you," he said aiming the crossbow at me.
An arrow shot him and Xane came up from behind and hacked him with his sword killing him.
"Lan, you bastard. Going off alone at night is not the way to go," he said getting me up and carrying me.
I merely stared then sighed. "Alright, alright. I get it. . ."
The pair watched over me on the walk back. Funny how two hunters help out a wolf.
"Thanks. . ." I sighed out.
"Don't mention it," Xane said.
I looked over at Kika and she smiled innocently. She knew my danger. I replied back with a fake annoyed sigh.

~~~

The three food scavengers came back and Lan seemed injured. He didn't seem upset and he chimed humbly to himself as he was aided.
"We should go fetch some more chow, but we can't risk any other person finding us," Xane said.
"I guess we can start a fire. . . we don't have wood," Kika said.
"Allow me!" Caliber nudged in. He opened his pack and pulled out a pack of charcoal.
"Why do you carry charcoal?" Fang asked.
"Strange things happen in our town. Trees grow up high on the mountains. They are incredibly hard so there is no use chopping them. The bigger they become, they aren't able to gain enough nutrients from the rocky terrain. Over time the trees stop producing oxygen and eventually dies off. In certain weathers the sun may be hot enough to light a flame on those trees. They fall into our town, but nothing serious happens, the trees tumble against the rough mountains and they eventually become cooled charcoal raining in town harmlessly."
"That's interesting," I said.
"That charcoal won't be enough, I'll be careful in search for some wood to at least last until we all rest," Xane offered taking his leave.
Caliber looked bitter thinking that he was of no use.
"Thank you Caliber, this will be very useful in stressful times like this," I assured.
Caliber's eyes brightened and he nodded. I patted his head and he smiled happily. I wonder if this is what it would feel like if Syf was a younger brother rather than older.

~~~

If spoiled milk could revert back to normal, then this would be like how this feels. I sat up and I felt normal again, aside from soreness and tiredness.
"I have done what I can for you," I looked up to see the scion.
"Why do this?" I asked.
"Your friends are in danger right now. Something wrong has happened."
"Wrong?"
"You will see soon."
I jumped onto my feet then fell over. My weight is not balanced due to my wing. Ignoring my soreness, I got up and ran.