Warm Town

We caught Fang up to speed telling him more about our world. The people, species, weapons, history, Guardian, and a bit about ourselves and our goals. That made his decision to stay with us even stronger. He is rather trustworthy, at least he isn't trusting anyone else shady. Soon we all became rather tired and one by one we slept with the cold howling winds blowing outside.

~~~

Everyone was already asleep. I sighed and watched the fire intently as it swayed gently back and forth. I was surprised to hear the page of a book turn. I looked up and didn't realize Syf was awake.
"You can sleep, Syf. I can watch over," I said.
"Oh. . . no. . . I just. . . can't sleep. . ." Syf replied. Having said that I don't remember him sleeping often during our trip. His eyes were bloodshot.
"Have you slept?" I asked.
"It's. . . hard to. . . sleep. . ." He confirmed closing the book and rubbing his eyes, yawning. ". . . bad. . . dreams. . ."
"What kind of dreams?" After asking he shuffled nervously and I think that too was a personal question. He pulled out a bottle from his pocket and it had a bright colorless look to it.
"Only. . . sleep potions. . . help me. . . sleep. . ." He said tiredly. "Well."
"Why were you saving it all this time?" I asked.
"No ingredients. . . on the mountain. . ." He grimaced.
"Do you have to drink the entire bottle for its effects to work?"
He nodded. He opened his book and continued to read.
"What ingredients do you need for it?"
He looked up. He flipped through his book to a specified page and gave me a slip of paper. It had the ingredients.
"I have some of these," I said pulling some out from my bag. "A little bloody from the meat, do you think it will still work?"
"Yes. . . ! Th-Thank you. . . !" He spoke with difficulty from excitement. He could just sleep now and make a potion later, but he pulled out a set you would find in a researcher's desk. He opened a flask of water and used that as the base. I watched him work with the ingredients I have given him and he seemed rather skilled. Makes sense if he's done this many times.
About a half hour passed and he finished his potion. He smiled and tucked the new potion away along with the set and opened the old sleeping potion and drank until there was nothing left, dry as a desert. He wiped his mouth and licked his lips. His eyelids weighed down and he looked like he could fall asleep any moment.
"Syf, may I ask a question?" I asked before I forget and he sleeps.
". . . ?"
"I realized you never spoke or even looked at my clothing. Many would question me on the spot. Why didn't you?"
Syf didn't speak for a bit then fiddled with his fingers a little. "My. . . Father. . . he told me not to look down on others. . . So, I always look at the face."
"I. . . see. . ."
Syf yawned and the sleep potion's effects kicked in. He looks happy though. I'm glad. One thing that surprised me however was not the potion or his answer, but he spoke normally before he slept.

~~~

When we got out of the cave and continued walking, the winds weren't blowing anymore and the skies were brighter than before. Clouds were still obstructing the sun's full light, but it was still bright. Fang held tightly on his jacket. He doesn't seem to do well with the cold, maybe he just fell to this world when we found him.
Syf provided his extra robe for him and Fang thanked him.
We walked for a few more hours and we found the nice town we were looking for.

The place was rather kind despite the cold and small amount of food. Food is brought here from other villages transporting goods here. This town is rather popular for its service and rooms to stay. Most of hall, the hot waters the mountain provides. I need an actual bath.
The village had many igloos. I guess if the mountains were always cold, it would be safe. There weren't many shops and they couldn't have a weaponry otherwise it may pose a problem from the amount of heat needed. Fortunately, angels and shadows couldn't survive the trip up here even if they tried. It's not like they can gain anything from coming up here. There was a shop for cold wear. Since we were travelers in a large group, they gave us a discount. We wore our warmer wear and it felt cozy and fuzzy from the cold. Unfortunately, my wings don't feel entirely comfortable.