Chapter 9

It was surreal being back home. I was planning on surprising my mum with a new house soon, but for now they were all still living in the ramshackle house I had grown up in. I swear just walking through the door made me forget that I was a grown man with a massive bank account who had traveled the world. Instead I felt like the little boy who couldn't afford the newest trainers and had never been on a plane.

There was a lot of good stuff about being back though. It was amazing to eat a home cooked meal for the first time in what seemed like forever, and it was great to see Doniya, Waliyha, and Safaa, though I couldn't believe how big Safaa was getting. The older two were quickly bored by my arrival and more interested in their cell phones than in talking to me, but Safaa at least still seemed enthralled by her big brother. I made a mental note to enjoy her attention before she became too cool for me too.

But by far the best thing about being home was spending time with my mum. She and I had always been close, and nobody pampered me or took better care of me than her. As soon as I walked in the door she declared me far too skinny and sat me down for a huge meal. Some of my aunts and uncles had come to greet me as well, and the evening was filled with lots of good food and laughter.

It had been so hectic that I hadn't had a chance to talk to Harry since I'd arrived. It was well past dinner time and we were all still sitting around the kitchen table when I decided to check my phone. I couldn't hold back my smile when I saw that I had several texts from Harry.

HARRY: I miss you already.

HARRY: How's your trip going?

HARRY: Alright I've been trying to play it cool here, but we both know that I am not cool so...what did you think of the letter?

HARRY: Come on babe, I'm dying here!

HARRY: Zayn?

HARRY: Oh god, you hated it. I'm sorry, just forget everything I said. I'm a total idiot.

I felt so bad when I saw how worried he was and quickly texted him back.

ZAYN: Harry calm down. I loved the letter. I loved everything about it. I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner but I was planning on calling you tonight so that I could gush over it properly.

I stared at my phone anxiously, hoping that I hadn't blown things by not thanking him sooner. Luckily he texted me back almost immediately.

HARRY: So you liked it? I should have known, I am pretty amazing after all. Perhaps I'll be a professional letter writer if this whole rock star thing doesn't pan out.

HARRY: But you still owe me some major gushing for making me worry like that.

ZAYN: You better prepare yourself for some extreme gushing the next time I see you. You've never seen someone gush like I can gush.

HARRY: I love it when you talk dirty to me.

We continued texting back and forth until my mum called my name to bring me back to the here and now. My head shot up and I looked around, surprised to see that her and I were the only ones left in the room.

"Where'd everyone go?"

"They left a little while ago, but you were too engrossed in your phone to notice. I knew something seemed different about you when you got here. So, tell me, who is she?" she asked with a smile.

I was totally baffled by her question. "What do you mean? Who?"

"You've seemed so happy since you arrived, and your smile practically blinded me as soon as you started texting. You even giggled, and that can only mean one thing: my baby boy's in love."