I Understand (Part 1) (M.JessexPetra)

Petra's PoV

Jesse: Are you okay? Why aren't you replying? [12:52pm]

Jesse: At least talk to me. Please. [12:53pm]

Jesse: I miss you. [12:54pm]

I sighed and turned off my bedside lamp. He's been texting me all day. Everyday. Even though he lived across the globe from me, we managed to have a relationship from across that distance.

But now... I looked at my phone, which was lighting up from the texts. I watched silently as it lit up on the table every few seconds. He was being too much. Sure, I loved him. But it seems a bit forced these days. I wanted to go back to the old days when we would send physical letters to each other, no matter the distance.

Jesse was a sweet boy, who always looked out for me and always talked to me whenever I was down. He's my best internet friend. I waited until my phone stopped lighting up, which gave me the go ahead to grab it from the bedside table and sit up in my bed.

I glanced at my bedroom door, listening out for my mom. She didn't allow me to have internet friends so I had to do this the hard way. Everyday I had to wait for her to fall asleep before texting Jesse. It was a huge risk, since I got caught once and it was such a huge and major punishment.

I stared at Jesse's messages, wondering if he was still up. He should be, since it was daytime where he was and it was nighttime for me. I felt a warm feeling in my chest and felt my love for Jesse again. I squinted in the darkness and read Jesse's last text.

Jesse: I'll be waiting for you, my love. No matter how far we are apart, I'll always be with you. [1:01am]

I sighed and turned off my phone. I was afraid my mom would find out. And then I'll lose her trust again and then... I'll never see Jesse again. I swallowed and closed my eyes, clutching my phone to my chest. I wanted to break it off. Not because of stress. But because I wanted to protect Jesse from my mom and because... I loved him.

I held my phone up, the screen's glow illuminating my face as I typed what I wanted to say with shaking fingers.

Petra: I'm sorry. But I have to break this off. To protect you. I... love you Jesse. [1:10am]

I turned off my phone and closed my eyes, feeling my tears stream down my cheeks and into my hair. I didn't want this. I swallowed and threw my phone across the room, angry that I couldn't have a normal relationship. Why. Why did my life have to end up like this? I had to bite my hand to keep from screaming.

Cool it Petra. Cool it. I could hear Jesse's soothing voice in my head as I cried. I was tired of living this double life. One with Jesse and one with my mom. But all I had left was my mom now. And nothing else.

************************

When I woke up, I reached for my phone on my beside table out of habit. But I remembered that I had thrown it onto the floor. Sighing and rubbing my face because I had cried all night long, I walked over to my phone.

There was a small crack, but I didn't mind. I turned it on and there was a simple message.

Jesse: I understand [1:10am]

Hardening my heart, I deleted the message and got ready for school. I was done sneaking around. I wanted to live a little... just for awhile.

When I was done washing up, I climbed down the stairs and greeted my mom with a kiss on her cheek. "Hey there." she said, distracted as always by the television. She never seemed to get up from the couch she seemed to live in. And ever since she drank, she's been really demanding and... vulgar. I hated it and Jesse- I bit my lip. I had to stop thinking about him.

"You'll be late for school." my mom said, pointing to the clock, which was ticking away on the mantelpiece. I nodded, surprised that she knew what time school started for me. I closed the door behind me, so she wouldn't call for me. Life was difficult enough without her swearing at me today.

When I got to school, life was even tougher. I didn't have a single friend since all I did was to talk to Jesse. Except for that little kid at the back they call Raggy Lluna. She was a little white-blonde haired girl who stayed far away from anyone. Only I managed to talk to her, making others label me as the Lluna Tamer.

They didn't know they were making things tougher for me. The abusive words from my mom, the teasing. Only Jesse had any kind words in this world.

************************

Days past. Then months. No word from Jesse. And I was about to collapse from the abuse. Everyday I ate lesser and lesser, just reading the texts from Jesse I got last time. And I cried myself to sleep every single day. I was tired of it.

When I got to school the next day, everyone was their usual self, except for Lluna who was waiting shyly for me at the edge of the garden. However, just as I was about to walk over to her, the principal called for me over the loudspeaker. Weird.

Lluna looked at me and nodded, understandingly. I frowned in the direction of the school and made my way over to the principal's office.

"You... wanted to see me?" I asked him, while closing the door behind me. The principal nodded and held out a phone. "Someone's calling for you." he said.

I swallowed, wondering if it was the person I was hoping for. Was it... Jesse?

-End

What do you guys think? Is it Jesse?