The Beach (AxelxOlivia)

Olivia's PoV

She sat on the sand, hugging her knees to her chest and just slowly taking in the view. The beach was always quiet around this time. Where the sunset was. She sighed to herself, feeling a little upset. She just had a fight with her best friends.

Jesse, Petra, Axel and Lukas... they were arguing about a group they had formed in school. The Order. At first it was fun... however. Nowadays they seemed to be meeting up less and less, until finally, they decided to cut ties forever, after a miscommunication.

Olivia ran a hand through her hair, thinking. Maybe she shouldn't have shouted at Petra. The both of them were the only girls in the group of five. So they would understand each other better. But she didn't expect Petra to lash out at her, slapping her across the cheek.

Axel was so mad at he had pushed Petra, making Jesse interfere. Now Axel and Jesse were probably at the nurse's office, with black eyes or something... Lukas... well, he tried his best to stop the fight.

Olivia blushed a little, rubbing her stinging cheek. She'd always had a crush on the blonde. She'd always take his side in an argument and was always defending Lukas.

But all that changed after Lukas had pulled her aside and told her that he had feelings for Aiden, that kid who always hung out at the edge of the field, near the swings. No wonder Lukas always seemed to be sneaking off...

Olivia covered her eyes. How could she have been so stupid to fall in love with that blonde? After all this time, he was actually gay. Wow. That was probably the best kept secret around here... she though wryly.

"Mind if I sit here?" someone asked, making Olivia open her eyes to look up to see... Axel? He looked down at her and smiled a small smile, as if he was unsure.

"Go ahead.." she murmured, looking out at the ocean again and watching the waves roll onto the shore. Olivia always felt at home, at the beach. Since she did grow up in a small cabin nearby.

"..." There was an uncomfortable silence as Axel looked out at the sea as well, as if waiting for something interesting to happen. Olivia didn't say anything. He was the one who wanted to sit here after all...

"So.. why are you sitting here?" Axel broke the silence. Olivia watched him at the corner of her eye. "I just needed a moment to think." she replied softly as Axel fiddled with his thumbs nervously.

She had no interest in Axel whatsoever, to be very honest. Okay, maybe she had a small soft spot for the big guy. But she was still getting over the fact that Lukas didn't like her. Ugh, love was so confusing.

Olivia looked at him and realised that he really did have a black eye and there were bruises across his arms. Axel noticed her face and laughed. "Jesse may be a nice guy and all, but he's a nice guy who can truly pack a punch. I didn't know he could fight like that."

Olivia rolled her eyes. "Never underestimate him. Remember he's dating Petra? She's practically the best fighter around here. Serves you right."

"Hey! I defended you." Axel smirked, making Olivia blink. Oh right. "Oh.. sorry. And thanks." she said, blushing very faintly. Axel laughed, "I was just kidding, you don't have to apologise. After all, Petra was the one who started it."

"I believe I was the one who shouted at her-."

"Oh come on, give yourself a break!" Axel said. "But anyway," he cleared his throat. "What do you gain from sitting here?" he looked out at the blue ocean, watching the waves creep closer and closer.

"Peace? Silence?" Olivia suggested.

"Are you trying to tell me something?" Axel asked with an amused smile.

"What? No..." she rolled her eyes.

There was another awkward silence as Olivia looked down at the sand in between her toes. "You know.. you look much nicer like this."

Olivia looked over at Axel, wondering what he meant. He gestured to her brown hair, which was cascading down her back. "Don't get me wrong, you look really nice everyday but you look much... nicer. Ugh, am I messing things up?" he asked her.

Olivia laughed, "No you're not... but thanks." she smiled.

Axel blushed faintly. "I'm not really good at talking to girls... sorry."

"Don't be, I'm not good at talking to anyone in general." Olivia smiled a little, making Axel nod enthusiastically. "Same! I'm like, what do I say? Should I say this? Nah? It's so confusing!"

Olivia laughed harder at his expression. "I guess we have something in common then." she said, turning away from Axel to watch the sun sink even lower, below the horizon.

There was a silence, but this silence wasn't awkward. It was more of a calm silence, the type of quiet you'd want when you're thinking about things.

Until, of course, Axel had to talk.

"Hey Olivia.."

"Yeah?" she watched as the stars slowly lit up the still bright sky, and the moon, which was was somehow overhead.

"Thanks... you know.. for hanging out with me." he stammered, making Olivia smile back at him. "I believe you're the one who sat here but... okay... thanks for hanging out with me too."

With that, Axel looked up at the sky. "..." but of course... they didn't speak.

-End