thirty-four // records

"here we are," ashton smiles. the music store looks small and like barely anyone visits, but maybe that's why ashton likes it so much. ashton opens the door for me and bows, "after you,"

i laugh and curtesy before entering the music store. the sound of someone rocking out on bass guitar fills my ears. ashton waves to the cashier before tugging on my jacket, "let's go over here,"

we both walk over to the records pushed over to the other side of the store. ashton smiles at all the vinyl records lined up inside huge cardboard boxes.

"so," i say, "what instrument do you play?"

"i'm a drummer boy," ashton says while flipping through the vinyl records, "what kind of artists do you like?"

"um, i like a lot of artists," i reply.

ashton gives me an annoyed look before flipping through the records again, "name a band."

"arctic monkeys," i instantly reply.

"of course," ashton says, shaking his head.

"what? they're a good band."

"sure. but i kind of expected you to say that. i'm guessing you like lana del rey, too,"

"of course. how can you tell?"

ashton pulls out a vinyl record with a large x on it and looks over at me, "how can i not tell? i'm pretty good at reading people's music taste."

"is that a professional job?" i joke.

ashton sighs and pulls out another box, "hopefully. i really need one."

well, that joke didn't end well. ashton is cool but i really need to make better hints when i'm trying to be funny.

"aha!" ashton smiles as he finds a vinyl record player. he pulls it up on top of the box and pulls the vinyl record out the case, "do you know the xx?"

"no," i reply.

"el -" he places a hand on my shoulder, "- you have not yet lived."