forty // deflating

the smell of tea filling the kitchen calms my emotions, giving me time to sort my thoughts out. my tears stopped flowing and now all i can do is stare at the wall emotionless.

"how are you feeling?" ashton asks, setting a brown mug in front of me.

the steaming liquid inside burns my face, "numb."

he frowns and sympathetically rubs my arm, "it's okay, el. at least you know instead of wasting your time on a jerk like that."

"right," i say. i sadly twirl my spoon in the steaming tea feeling my face heat up again from my uncontrollable emotions, "i just... i feel so hurt. through everything i stayed with him while he has someone else. he wasn't even sick... he lied to me to be with her."

my words don't stop from there, "she's probably so much better than me. she's already way prettier than me. no wonder he cheated."

"elle," ashton says, "that girl was no way in hell more beautiful than you. and even if she was, that doesn't give niall any right to cheat on you."

a sigh falls from my lips. i take a sip of the tea, admiring the warm liquid traveling down my throat and warmig my insides, "i feel like a deflating balloon. is it crazy to still be in love with him even though i know the truth about him?"

"no," ashton replies, "there really isn't an on and off switch when it comes to love... i would know."