Chapter 37

Before I could react, my hands were chained against the wall. I struggle against my restraints, as my future self stares at me in pure amusement. "Aqua, please wait patiently for us to return," my future self mocks, as an amused smirk curves around her lips. "We're going to have a lot of fun." I shift uncomfortably, as she nods in Rena's direction and leads the way out of the cave, with Valtor, the wizards of the black circle, the ancestral witches, and Lord Darkar following right behind her. As for Tritannus, though, he dives under water and swims away.

I heave a sigh and turn to stare at Rena, who intently stares at me. "Rena, why are you still helping her?" I question, as a newfound determination washes over me. "You probably already know this, but Roxy was destined to die, and she didn't!" The said female scrunches her brow in concern and runs a hand through her hair, before crossing her arms.

"I already know that, and everything has changed," she says in a serious tone, before shooting me a glare. "Even so, that doesn't make a difference." I purse my lips. "Aqua, your future self is way too powerful. Nobody stands a chance against her." Rena frowns. "Even as Fate, she's steps ahead of me. I can't predict what she's about to do." Rena lowers her head in dismay. "She completely terrifies me."

I raise my eyebrows in astonishment. "Rena..." I hum, shooting her a sympathetic look. "I know that if we work together, then we could defeat her!" She then lifts her head and meets my gaze. "We could do anything if we put our minds to it!" Tears start to form in her eyes, as Rena begins to shake uncontrollably. I stare at her with wide eyes, as she exhales sharply.

"Listen!" Rena roars, before clenching her fists in desperation. "I don't have a choice!" She scowls. "If I don't comply with her demands, then she will destroy Makani." I raise my eyebrows in astonishment. "That's my home, Aqua. I'm not strong enough to defend my home and people from her." She lowers her head in dismay. "This is the only way to ensure Makani's safety."

"Rena, you could've asked us for help!"

"All I am is a traitor," she points out, crossing her arms. "There's no way I could ask for help from the people I betrayed." Rena stares at the ground. "That would not be a fair request to ask you to defend a world of someone who betrayed you." Rena wipes away a tear rolling down her cheek. "I know it doesn't mean much coming from me, but I'm sorry for everything."

"Rena..."

"Please don't, Aqua," says Rena, who meets my gaze. "I know you want to help, but as you know, I don't have a choice." I scrunch my brow in concern, before staring at the black-haired fairy. Although she's made a lot of mistakes over the past few months, I want to help her. It's clear that regrets her choices and wants to help her home, but she doesn't exactly know how to. Not only am I going to escape from this prison, but I'm going to bring her back to Alfea with me. From there, we can work together to defeat my future self and protect the magic dimension!