》Chapter 14 ➹ fire messages

I glanced up at my room's wall clock, 3am. I was all ready in the black tight training suit, feeling a little dizzy. I could hear voices in the corridor, Izzy and Emma, then Mark and Alec. I ran my fingers in my hair and tried to overcome the sharp pain of my neck scratch.

        I nervously grabbed my stele, my hands sweating and trembling. I started drawing runes in the air and sent a fire message to Magnus. A soft knock on my door brought me back to reality. Julian walked in and closed the door behind him.

    《Jules》I said in a breath.

    《You should stay here, why are you so stubborn?!》he sighed and sat on my bed next to me.

    《Well, guess who I lived with for months before moving here?》

    《I'm not stubborn》he furrowed his eyebrows.《I'm just determined》

    《I could say the same thing》I weakly smiled.

        I blinked and pushed Julian aside. I grabbed the returned fire message from Magnus and read it.

    《What's that? Who's this from? What's going on?》Julian asked confused and fixed his brown hair.

        I gazed up at him and warmly smiled.《Magnus》

    《Problems?》

    《More like trouble》I faked another smile. I then grabbed my stele again and draw some other runes in reply to Magnus and sent another fire message back.

        Alec snapped my door open at the same moment my message burnt up and disappeared. Julian and I stared at him with wide eyes, as everyone else showed up from behind him.

    《What's going on in here》Alec crossed his arms.《Who are you sending fire messages to?》

    《Rach?》Izzy sweetly asked.

        Emma's eyes were stuck on Julian, Mark raised an eyebrow and moved his sight from me to his brother and back.

    《So?》Alec pressed. I saw him suddenly raise his hand up and catch the return fire message.

        I swallowed, hoping he wouldn't read. He gazed deeply into my eyes before opening it and checking it out.

    《Magnus?》he raised an eyebrow in shock.

    《Magnus?》Izzy echoed, Mark's eyes still stuck on me and my scratch.

    《You shouldn't read that》Mark eventually spoke.《There's certainly a good reason why we didn't know about this. Must be personal》

    《Personal? We're a team, we shouldn't have secrets. There's no such thing》Alec scoffed.

    《So you totally told her about the demon venom, right?》this time it was Julian speaking.

    《What demon venom?!》I panicked.

    《As expected, she has no clue》Julian rolled his eyes, Alec dramatically sighed in disapproval.

                         ➹➹➹

    《Okay, here the thing. Apparently, some personal things are being hidden, and that's totally okay. But if your secrets can cause problems during the mission we must know. We are family, we won't judge any of you》

    《I'm in love》Mark was the first to speak. Julian and I instantly burst into laughter and hid our lips with our hands.

    《Mark, that's not what I meant》Isabelle rolled her eyes.

    《How would that cause problems with our mission?》Alec asked exhausted.

    《It won't, that was a joke. I was proving the we don't judge you speech point》he answered nonchalantly.

        Emma admitted she was feeling feverish, Isabelle informed us of how much she was craving chocolate. Alec stayed silent all the time, not even a word. His sparkly eyes were still stuck on me, and it almost looked like he wasn't even blinking anymore at that point. I took a deep breath and interrupted their conversation.

    《Magnus thinks that the Werewolf who scratched me was an Alpha. That's why I'm not recovering as I should.》I started, everyone snapped their eyes on me in shock.《In my last fire message I asked him if there could be any chance that the matter could be my blood. And I haven't read his answer yet, so..》

        Alec's eyes widened. His face fell and went pale. Isabelle grabbed the paper from her brother's hand and gave it to me. I thanked her and read the message, disappointed.

    《Aand it's not. Good. We're back to the start》I sighed exhausted and dropped my body back on my bed.

    《When Valentine attacked the Institute, that night, I was attacked by a shax demon. You saved me and cured me, but, apparently, there's still drops of venom in my blood. That's why Julian, Mark, and Emma are here. I asked for their help》

    《Why thank you. I feel needed, that's great》I scoffed, both mad and hurt.

    《Rach, it's not like that》he frowned.

        I slowly got up and took a few steps towards him. I raised my hand up in his direction, my chocolate eyes locked on his. I couldn't tell if he was expecting a hug or something more likely. I grabbed an incoming fire message instead, just appeared from out of nowhere.

    《You're on my receiver spot, Lightwood》I kept my sight steady,《This is probably Magnus wondering if I'm still alive》

    《Why didn't you just call him at the phone?》Isabelle asked with a nonchalant giggle.

    《Where's the fun?》I gently smiled,《You know both of us, this is just our way to express ourselves》

    《It's true》Emma grinned,《You two look very much alike, in almost everything》

    《You don't know the half of it》Mark smirked, I threw him a death glare.

        A loud sound in the corridor made us all jump. Gale stared at all of us with her arms crossed.

    《You should've been on a mission one hour ago, can you please explain?》she moved her sight and checked each and every one of us out.

    《We were exchanging plan ideas》Julian saved us,《Now we're ready to go》