》Chapter 30 ➹ get ready!

The night was windy and, to my eyes, the sky looked darker than usual. I was standing by Magnus' balcony, gazing up at the large amount of sparkly stars. I just wanted to be alone, yet I wanted someone to come and rescue me from my overthinking. A chilly wind blew on my neck, causing me to shiver, as the door behind me slid open.

    《Hey》I raspy deep voice greeted.

        I didn't move from my spot nor turn around. I stood there, my eyes glued on the sky.《Are you ever afraid of losing the people you love most?》

    《Being a Shadowhunter, it happens nearly everyday》he made a point.

        I felt Alec stepping towards me, stopping next to me and mimicking my star-gazing.《Stars.. they make me feel so tiny》

    《We are tiny, for the universe. Yet we always feel the weight of every little thing that happens to us. It's some scary shit》I finally glanced at him, his eyes still glued to the night sky.

    《I know you, shorty. I know you will find any little trick to keep us all behind》he stated firmly.《Just so you know.. I won't allow it》

    《Yeah》I breathed out,《I know. We have that in common, uh?》

    《Out of another thousand of things, yeah, we do》he moved his sight down on me for the first time.

    《You two are incredible. And not the good type of incredible》Magnus' voice snapped us back to reality. Right, the party.

    《We were star-gazing. Totally not talking about tomorrow》Alec shyly spoke, looking down to his feet.

    《I have the magic to make the rooftop disappear.. Is that what I have to do to keep you two from overthinking?》he joked in style. Alec and I rolled our eyes at him simultaneously.

    《May you walk back in?》Magnus moved his arms in waves in a funny way and gestured us to follow his lead.《Your sister is begging me to play some pop alternative contemporary music》he added in disgust with a low tone towards Alec, we laughed.

~

        Magnus' party was a complete success, obviously. Until it was time to leave his loft and get back to the Institute. Everyone was tense, nervous, as we approached the building and stopped in front of the double door.

        We shared a lot of encouraging hugs and nice words, also a group hug. I could already feel tears forming in my tired eyes, as we all kissed goodnight. I couldn't stand a whole night on my own. Not even a second alone.

        A soft knock on the door caused me to smile, as I softly opened it in relief. Everyone was behind that door. Literally each and every of them. Izzy, Jace, Julian, Mark, Emma, Alec, and Magnus.

    《Need some company?》Julian sweetly smiled.

    《Yes please》I forced a smile as a tear escaped my eye.

        Tension was less now that everyone was peacefully sleeping on my bed. And, let me tell you, they were a lot! All linked together. I carefully placed my head on Izzy's shoulder and finally let my body and soul rest.

➹➹➹

        Eight o'clock. The time arrived way too soon. The whole night felt like barely thirty minutes. I was exhausted already, we all were.

        I stared at my reflection in the mirror for a little too much, while Izzy draw necessary runes on the free spots of my body. When she was done, I hugged her and got changed into my training suit.

        I tied my hair up in a high ponytail and massaged my scratch with Magnus' special cream made of lizards and something equally disgusting.

        I met up with my squad in the weapon room, where I picked two Seraph Blades, and tied the Angels Sword on my back.

    《It surely weights more than you》Jace joked.

    《Ah. Maybe》I forced a playful smirk, hiding how actually genuinely frightened I was.

    《It's time》Mark gave me a reassuring nod that I returned right away.

~

        The plan was average simple: get in the Hybrids court from the basement, kill all demons there, get to the stairway to Heaven, kill the Master of Hybrids, get back to the Institute.

        It sounded so simple, if it wasn't that I had to kill a freaking Angel! Traitor or not, he was still an Angel, for a fact.

        We stood in line in front of a double door and breathed out. We could hear mad growls already, coming from the inside of the basement. I moved my head towards Magnus, who was chanting protection spells on all of us.

    《Rachél, Alec, Mark, and Julian, walk through the door》Magnus explained,《Jace, Izzy, Emma, and I, will climb a parallel stair and meet you inside》

    《When is Lucifer coming?》Emma asked, biting her bottom lip nervously.

    《He will be here quite soon, precious. Accompanied by his Renegades and three teams of Fallen Angels》Magnus assured.

    《The Clave will send other Shadowhunters too》Izzy added.

    《Okay, we got our backs covered. Let's go kick some demons' butts》Jace grabbed his swords.

➹➹➹

        I madly pushed the double door of the basement with all the strenght I had left. I carefully took a few steps forward, stopping in the middle of the wide dusty room.

        Alec stood on my left, his bow and arrow ready. While Mark stood on my right, a long sword in his arms. As for Julian, he stood behind me, back to back, his Seraph Blades as ready as mine. We all stood there fiercely until the demons noticed our presence and growled louder.

    《Now》Julian whispered.

        We all jumped, stabbed, and killed most of the demons. They were stronger and faster than usual demons, the ones we were used to. It took us more energy we had predicted, but we were prepared.

        I ran horizontally on the wall with my right arm open, stabbing all the demons in my trajectory. Mark, on the opposite wall, was doing the exact same. Jace suddenly jumped down from the roof, gracefully falling straight on four demons. They growled and burnt up at the touch of his Seraph Blades.

        Isabelle, on the narrow pathway above our heads, was using her whip and a wooden pole as her main weapons. Right next to her, Emma, held Cortana in her hands fiercely, killing lots of demons at once. Damn, we were a good team.

        As I moved my eyes back straight ahead, I noticed two demons on Alec. He was fighting hand on hand with the one in front of him, as another one sneaked from behind his back.

        I concentrated and took a deep sharp breath, before throwing one of my blades to the other part of the room. My weapon flew fast forward and flipped a couple of times before hitting the target perfectly, a few inches from Alec's head.

        His eyes widened as he moved his sight from the blade, now stuck in the wall, and my direction. I smirked at him and gave him a soft nod, finding him still shocked at my reflexes.

        I was already breathless, but we were at the beginning. The worst part of the battle was coming.