Chapter 32

Ethan dropped me off an hour later. I was still shining, in and out had Ethan told me. It wasn't very late though, so I heard Nick and Juliette still talking. I stopped at the door. Due to – once again – my enchanted hearing, I could hear that they were in a heated conversation. It is not something I can forgive that easily Juliette. They hurt her, both physically and mentally. Nick said. But you know she wouldn't want you to go to Austria. She is right, it is too risky. Juliette answered. Am I supposed to let them get away with it then? I sighed deeply, of course Nick didn't let it go yet. I opened the door and they both looked up. You're home early. Juliette said with a smile. "Yeah well, Ethan had training and tomorrow Emma and I will go to the gym and then to the spa. Apparently she got it into her head that she wants me to train her so yeah, didn't want to make it too late." I answered, smiling brightly too. She tilted her head a little. You're glowing... what happened with Ethan? I grimaced, going with my left hand through my hair. "Well..." I muttered, but I couldn't continue because Juliette squealed, jumping off the couch. Nick looked at the both of us, utterly confused. What is going on? He asked, but Juliette ignored him and grabbed my hand, examining the ring. Did someone get engaged? I blushed deeply. "Maybe..." She chuckled. Don't say maybe if we can see this big shiny thing around your finger. Tell us everything. So I did. I told them about Ethan's promise in Austria and his little surprise an hour ago. Juliette was very enthusiastic, though Nick had a certain frown on his face I didn't quite like. "Nick? What is it?" I asked and he sighed. I think you're being reckless with this Elena. Defying your father like that after everything he has done. I could feel my smile fading. Nick's approval on this was important to me. "Aren't you happy for me?" I asked quietly and his gaze softened. Of course I am happy for you! I just don't want to see you hurt. When he saw I wanted to protest he held up his hand. And I wasn't talking about Ethan hurting you. "I know." I said. "But I can't let them take MY future away. They already took away too much." I'm sorry... Nick said and sat down next to me. I will stop being all hail and doom. I chuckled, glad he lifted the mood himself. "I'll keep you to that." Did you tell Emma already? He asked and I shook my head. "No, and I guess Ethan won't tell her either, otherwise my phone would have blown up by now or she would be standing at our doorstep. Which means I probably have to tell her tomorrow." Nick chuckled. She will have a heart attack.

He wasn't completely wrong though. The next day Emma was already waiting for me outside, so I couldn't ask if Ethan had told her, or his parents for that matter. The question was easily answered when Emma stepped into the car, stopping halfway her 'good morning' to stare at the ring still around my finger. One second... five seconds... ten seconds. "Um.. Em?" I said a little worriedly, before I had to cover my ears because she started to scream. ETHAN PROPOSED TO YOU? I groaned. "Hello to you too. Thanks for the wake-up call." But I grinned at her, and she swung her arms around my neck, tugging me into a suffocating hug. So now you are really gonna be my sister?! Well finally! She suddenly let go and jumped out of the car. "Emma wait!!" I called after her, but she already ran back inside. Oh boy... I went after her, just to see Richard and Lorena walking into the foyer – utterly confused – as Emma stood down the staircase, yelling for Ethan. "Good morning." I greeted them, and Lorena smiled at me. Good morning darling. What is this all about? I grimaced, wanting to explain but at the same time Ethan's walked downstairs, still in his sleeping pants and yawning. What do you want this early in the morning little sis? Even though you're gonna train with Elena doesn't mean you can wake me up like this! She waited until he stood next to her, then she gave him a slap in his face before anyone could stop her. When were you gonna tell us that you PROPOSED to Elena? Richard's eyes widened and he looked over at me while Lorena started to beam, but Ethan sighed. You saw the ring. Emma glared up at him. Indeed I saw the ring! Now let me make one thing clear big brother... if you ever hurt my best friend in any way, you'll have to deal with me! I blinked, not really sure what I saw. Sweet, innocent Emma who looked so fierce and confident. Even Ethan blinked. There was a silent for a few second before Lorena broke it. So I assume you said yes Elena? I smiled at her, blushing a bit. "Of course I did." She walked to me and hugged me. I am very happy for you sweetheart. Welcome to the family. I hugged back. So that is why you needed your grandmother's engagement ring? Richard said, and Ethan flushed red. I blinked, I hadn't even thought of it, that this ring could have so much value in this family, passed down from generation to generation. But Emma must have seen my thoughtful face, because she laughed. Before our grandparents left to go back to Germany, they left both of us a present. For me grandma left an heirloom and for Ethan she left the ring you're now wearing. She made him promise to use it only when he was sure he found the right person. Now I really blushed and Emma laughed. Adorable. "All right, can we just go to the gym please?" I said, rolling my eyes at her. She giggled and nodded, back to her usual self. You got it bride to be. I sighed deeply. "You're not going to let that go, are you?" She grinned. Nope. She hooked her arm with mine and dragged me back to the car. "I'm gonna regret saying yes to Ethan's proposal only because of you." I jokingly said while sighing. She grinned. You know you love me.