Chapter 27

I texted Emma where I would go. She wasn't really happy I guess, but I wasn't either. Viktor picked me up 8pm sharp and I rolled my eyes. "Punctual..." I muttered softly. Where would we be without punctuality? Viktor answered back but I ignored him. I hugged both Nick and Juliette. "Will you survive without me?" I asked with a grin. We will try. Juliette said with a grin back. I will keep an eye on him. She pointed towards Nick, who chuckled softly. Isn't it the other way around? He asked. "NO!" We both said at the same time. "I will be back next Saturday." I said, grabbing my handbag. Some bodyguard had already brought my suitcase to the car. Well, try to have fun I guess. Juliette said and I scoffed amused, not a chance. We really have to go now Elena. Viktor urged and I nodded. "Bye!" Bye Elena, see you next week! I smiled one last time at them. I walked to the car, the bodyguard opened the door for me and I stepped in. Viktor slid next to me. We fly at 9:30pm so we have some time left. I nodded slowly, calculating the time in my head. "So we will arrive around 7pm in Austria?" Somewhere around that time yes... I sighed deeply, 13h flight plus different time zone meant almost a day of traveling. Thankfully we had a private plane, so get some sleep wouldn't be a problem. The drive to the airport was only 15 minutes, but I was already getting irritated by Viktor. So when we come home it is Sunday evening. The next day the festivities will start with a parade. It is expected of us to attend. As for your duties the next week... "Viktor..." I interrupted him sharply. "I've had a very rough week. Will you please shut up? I will deal with my 'duties' later." He stared at me, but I didn't really care. I still didn't trust him, and after I saw how Nick reacted to him, I trusted him even less. I put my headphones in and started some music. This drive was way too familiar, and my throat closed up when I thought about Eric. Especially now, when I was going to Vienna for those stupid festivities, I wished he was here with me.

Elena... wake up. The plane will land in 10 minutes. I woke up slowly, yawning. Viktor took his seat next to me and I quickly put my chair back him, fastening my seatbelt as well. I used the time on the plane with reading, studying and sleeping. Viktor didn't try to talk to me again, I guess he got the hint. 10 minutes later we landed at Vienna Airport. They are going to pick us up right here on the airstrip. I grabbed my suitcase and handbag, following Viktor out of the plane. Four security guards were waiting next to two cars, they bowed at us. I recognized three of them, but the fourth... Prince Viktor, we are ready to leave. The unknown guard said, he didn't have a German accent, an American maybe... or Australian. And welcome back in Austria your highness. I smiled at him. "Thank you." The guard nodded. The king arranged a separate car for the both of you. I giggled silently, that my father was a dick sometimes, didn't mean he didn't know me. I guess he noticed I didn't like Viktor that much. Very well. Viktor said and he stepped into the first car while the American and mister Hellon – Eric's old guard – led me to the second one. Mister Hellon took the passenger seat and the American slid in the back with me. "You are not from here, are you?" I asked the new guy. He was... late twenties, begin thirties perhaps. Wavy blond hair and blue eyes. No your highness, I was born in Sydney. So he was an Australian! But my father was born here in Vienna, so I know my German. I started working for the royal family about two months ago, they assigned me to protect you along with a friend. He said. "What is your name?" I asked. Lucas your highness. I smiled. "Nice to meet you Lucas, my name is Elena Burkhardt. And I guess we are going to be in each other's company for quite a while, so just call me Elena." The first genuine smile spread on his face. Nice to meet you too Elena. I heard a lot about you. I frowned, had father been gossiping about me? "Only good things I hope." Only good things, don't worry. Lucas smiled softly. "So who is your friend?" I asked. You'll meet him when we arrive. Lucas said. The rest of the ride was silent. It was around 7pm that we arrived at the palace and I was all stiff because of the long journey. If you don't mind hoheit, your father is waiting for you in his study. He wanted to talk to you alone. Lucas will lead you there. Mister Hellon said and I sighed. "Sure." Lucas led me through the palace to father's study and knocked. Sie ist hier majestät. Lucas said through the door. Come in Lucas. My father replied, in English thankfully and Lucas opened the door. I walked in after him.