Chapter 41

Every minute felt like an hour. Hank and I sat next to each other, both in our own thoughts. Juliette ran in somewhat later, but I let Hank tell the whole story. Emma had called 15 minutes ago, and I flatly told her what had happened. She promised she would come to the hospital as soon as possible, together with Ethan. I told her she didn't have to, but of course she didn't listen to me. After finishing that call I only stared at the double doors which separated me from my brother and let my mind wander off. So many emotions ran through my body that it was a wonder I didn't explode. I was furious at the shooter. But most of all I was scared. Scared I would lose the only relative I had left. Hours passed and there still wasn't any news. My mind went back to the shooter, that drug dealer and how he had cowardly fled into the Mexican embassy. It was true the States had an extradition treaty with Mexico, but because our relationship had always been strained it wasn't likely they would deliver that guy to us. Thank you. Hank's voice pulled me out of my thoughts and I looked at him, he had just finished a call. I rose my eyebrows, a silent question. Our colleagues put up a blockade at the embassy. He said. Yet that isn't allowed so the captain had to remove them. "What?!" I said in pure shock. "There is a criminal in there!" I know Elena... but there is nothing we can do. I have to get back to the precinct for a debriefing. Juliette nodded. We will stay here and let you know if we know anything. Hank nodded and left us soon after. I sighed deeply as Juliette took Hank's place next to me, taking my hand. I wished I could comfort her, but as I couldn't comfort myself there was nothing I could say. Emma and Ethan came a few minutes later, but even their presence didn't comfort me. The more I waited, the angrier I became. I couldn't sit here and do nothing, I had to help in some way. I stood up. "I am going to help Hank." I said, making Juliette frown. You're not a full agent Elena. Nick wouldn't want you to... "Well I can't just sit here and do nothing!" I screamed back, interrupting her. Without waiting for their answer I walked away, to my car and to the precinct.

Hank didn't look surprised as he saw me walking towards the captain's office. I didn't knock, I just burst in. The captain looked up. I thought you might come here. I didn't reply to that comment. "So we know where he is but we're not doing anything?" I asked and he sighed. I understand your frustration Elena, believe me... I wasn't in the mood for games. "We're going there and we're pulling him out!" I said firmly. That will result in a diplomatic conflict with international consequences, plus... I didn't even let him finish. "Not any other country would allow this. No country would let their own police officers be shot down, or are we once again the perfect student?!" Plus that we are at risk that the judges, if we take him like that, will set him free because it didn't go by the law. That could result in the fact that we have to let him go for good. The captain shot back. "Yes, that is a good idea." I snarled. "We let him escape through the back door, by tomorrow he will be back in Mexico and afterwards everyone here will act as if nothing happened!!" I just stared him down, he just looked back. The embassy is under observation. For now everything lies with Foreign Affairs, who are not amused to say the least, and everyone who works here and tries to do anything, is at risk of losing their job. And that counts for you as well Elena, because of your internship here. I scoffed. "So that is it huh? Afraid to lose your job?" I bowed down over the desk. There really isn't anything we can do. The captain said in a calming tone, which made me even more angry. I walked over to the trash bin and kicked it over. "What is this for BULLSHIT?" I growled. "Does no one have the guts to do something?!" Elena... go back to the hospital and try to be there for Juliette, but most of all for Nick. I glared at him before turning to the door, pulling it open. "Fuck off!" I slammed the door shut behind me and walked back to my car. I saw Hank looking at me with a sympathetic look in his eyes, but I ignored him. I knew I couldn't go back to the hospital, so I drove to the training field Sebastian and I discovered. Now I used it to train Emma and Ethan, but of course they weren't there. Taking me katanas out of the car with me, I put on the lights and started swinging them around, imagining the Mexican bastard being in front of me. I let all my anger into my movements, and after 15 minutes I was panting despite of the PTZD. I fell down, burying my face in my knees and cried.