Chapter 37

Nick's POV

This is crazy. This is a bad dream. I sat on the couch in that horribly luxurious room they called a guestroom with my face in my hands. Elena had stopped fighting, and now she was really going to marry that psychopath. She said she loved him, but that wasn't love. What could I do? Anger flared up. Killing him was the most logical option, and I would do that and not even regret it... The door opened suddenly and I looked up. Nick! Juliette stood in the door opening, well she did... a second later I caught her in my arms. You're okay... She whispered, pulling me close. I sighed deeply and did the same. She was here... even though it was dangerous, I was happy to see here. Dude, thank god. Monroe's voice came from behind and I looked back at the door. Monroe stood there, Rosalee and Emma, Hank and the captain. "You're all here." I said, still a little bit shocked. Of course we are! We would never abandon you. Rosalee said. My lips started to curl into a light smile, until I saw Emma's face. She knew... "Emma?" I asked softly and she shook her head. Don't... don't say it okay? I know. My heart broke for her, and with that my anger flared up again. Now tell us from the beginning. The captain said and we all sat down on the couches. I did, from the moment of the kidnapping to the torture... to Ethan's death. Now Emma wasn't the only one who had a few tears in their eyes. Once told, I almost boiled with anger. So now what? Hank asked. "I am going to kill Sebastian." I said grimly and stood up, realising I meant it and I would do it right now. You can't. The captain said. "And why not?" I shot back. "He started all of this." Elena would never forgive you. Emma suddenly said softly. "She is completely brainwashed, after some time she will understand that is for the best." I started to walk to the door, but Monroe and Hank stopped me. "Let me through." I said through gritted teeth. We can't act overreacted Nick. We need a full plan. I knew they were right, so I sat back down with a sigh. Juliette took my hand, squeezing it softly. Then it hit me, but before I could say anything the door opened. It was the prince, and he looked at us with a slick smile on his face. I had the servants bring your stuff from the hotel to some guestrooms here. If you'll follow me, I'll explain some rules and arrangement for the wedding. I nodded at the others and they stood up, walking out. And without anyone seeing it, I held Monroe's arm and whispered something into his ear.

Elena's POV

It was the night before the wedding. The last past week every minute of every day had been filled with responsibilities, decisions and more. I didn't even have time to talk to anyone except my father or Sebastian. Whenever I saw Nick he gave me such a look of disappointment, betrayal and sadness that every time my heart bled. But I kept going, there was no turning back anyway. Now I sat on my bed after being told to go to sleep as tomorrow was the big day. I already knew I wouldn't been able to sleep, and not because of nerves. It made me sick to the core thinking about the fact that I would marry Sebastian tomorrow. Just a few days Elena... I thought to myself. After that you'll finally be free. A knock on the door made me look up and the door opened. Emma stood in the door opening and I smiled at her. "Hey." She closed the door behind her and crawled on the bed, hugging me. I sighed deeply and hugged her back. How are you holding up? She asked quietly. "I feel like I am about to explode." I admitted truthfully. Well obviously. You're forced to marry a psycho. I snorted. "Thanks for reminding me." We laughed softly before I turned back serious. What about you? How are you holding up? I asked and she sighed. I don't know. I guess I am still in denial. I just have the feeling he isn't dead. But that must be my sister feeling speaking. My heart broke for her and I held her a little tighter. "It's my fault... I should have protected him." Emma frowned. For the last time Elena, nothing of this is your fault. Ethan knew what dangers he would go into, and he accepted them because he loved you. And you loved him. I see you still do. But this is no one's fault except Sebastian's. He did it, and not because of you. But because he saw Ethan as a serious threat. And he fought right? I nodded a little, remembering Ethan's struggle through both his own torture as Nick's and mine. Then we must remember him by that and make sure that Sebastian can't do it to anyone else. "You're right." I am always right. I let out a quick chuckle. "Yeah, you are." Emma had been able to cheer me up a little, but there were still a lot of things bugging me. He'll forgive you. Emma said softly. "What do you mean?" I asked confused. Nick, I know he feels betrayed now, but once he know everything after this is over, he'll forgive you. Everyone will. I sighed. "It is just hard not to tell him, or anyone, when they keep looking at me with betrayal in their eyes." Be strong a little bit longer. I nodded slowly. A few minutes later Emma started to breath regularly and I realized she fell asleep. I shifted so we both lay under the covers, careful not to wake her. And while still hugging each other I fell asleep as well, seeking comfort in the arms of my best friend as she did with me.