Juliette: Sitting in Blank Verses

Reviewed by Dragonrat703

Author: RainAndSonder
Title: Sitting on Blank Verses
Genre: Poetry

Cover 3/5

The cover has a nice image and background, but the effect is ruined by the font. Your name's font is very hard and "gritty" feeling, and your poems are very soft and smooth, and it doesn't fit well. The title font works well, but it's much too dim, and readers will have trouble reading it.

Blurb 5/5

It's very brief, but it works wonders for a poetry book. The opening line fits well with the tone of your poems, and the mention of the recognition the book has got works well to entice readers. Excellent job.

Title 5/5

It immediately tells the reader that the book is a poetry book, and has an extremely poetic feel itself. It's mysterious and metaphorical, which is exactly how all your poems are. You couldn't have picked a better title.

Emotion 10/10

Your emotion was excellent. My personal favorite was "A Lover, A Hero, A Rebel, and A Sage," as the ending was heartbreaking and very meaningful, and was delivered in the perfect way. All of your poems are packed with meaning, even though many of them are cryptic, and there is nothing to be improved on here.

Rythm and Phrasing 10/10

I was extremely impressed with your rythms. You experimented with different styles but always kept a distinctive voice, and the poems read like songs, flowing seamlessly from one word to the next. You used the phrasing and rythm to sometimes haunting effect, and it never once sounded cheesy or clunky. Excellent job.

Spelling and grammar 9/10

In the poem, "Red Winter," "i" is never capitalized, and "police's" should probably be switched to "police officer's." The phrasing of the police part tripped me up, and it would read much better by making the switch, in my opinion.

Overall 9.8/10

Really, there is nothing to be improved but your cover. Your metaphors are brilliant, and every poem was unique and beautiful. I was honored to be asked to review, but these are, in my opinion, perfect. You are on your way to becoming a brilliant poet.